MLB The Show 14 (Playstation 4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 9th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Just played this for the first time and I'm not crazy about it.  The presentation is terrific but the gameplay is mediocre.  The pitching meter is spastic, and I think the developers failed to take into account that there's always some degree of input lag when playing on an HDTV.  More to come.

vegas83

Postby vegas83 » May 9th, 2014, 8:44 pm

I love this series, great control I think. The only thing I was disappointed with was with the graphics, I cannot really tell the difference between the PS3 version and the PS4, to me they play exactly alike.

If any one would like to play a game hit me up on PS4 - Vegas8333

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » May 10th, 2014, 12:14 pm

I have mixed feelings. This game is like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry is dating a girl who looks like a supermodel in a certain light, and butt ugly in other light. Sometimes this game looks fantastic, and other times it looks like an N64 game (Have you seen those pixelated dugouts?). Sometimes you can't tell the difference between this and its PS3 counterpart. I'm not sure if this is affecting any of you guys, but I'm getting framerate issues too. But ooooh, that grass! Looks fantastic. 

And yet I can't keep my hands off this game. I'm having fun with my Cubs franchise, plus Road to the Show is fantastic this year. It really captures the essence of baseball, making you feel like you're actually playing in the game. It brought back vibes of me playing in Little League some 20-odd years ago, trying to judge a fly ball, making a name for yourself. I even fear a coach screaming in my ear if I get picked off base. 

Is the game perfect? Not by a long shot, but for baseball this year, it'll more than do. Remember MLB 2K6 on the 360? Trust me, we can do much worse for the first baseball game of the generation.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » May 11th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Never been impressed with MLB the show. Fielding felt automatic &/or stiff. Batting is just pressing the button even though the strike zone is done in quadrants. I prefer PowerPros. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 11th, 2014, 10:23 pm

How do you skip the eight warm-up pitches?  There seems to be an option to do option "Skip warm up" with a black box next to it.  It's like they forgot to assign a button to that function.  Sloppy.  I don't really like this game.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » May 12th, 2014, 12:36 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]How do you skip the eight warm-up pitches?  There seems to be an option to do option "Skip warm up" with a black box next to it.  It's like they forgot to assign a button to that function.  Sloppy.  I don't really like this game.[/QUOTE]

You press that big flat button between the options and share buttons. I don't know what it's called. Plus you can disable it in the menus. I find it to be a big fat waste of time, so off it goes. That seems to be the select button nowadays. I should know, I keep on accidentally calling time outs in Madden.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 12th, 2014, 6:29 pm

Thanks Hershie, I would have ever equated that little black square to the touch pad!

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » February 15th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Still playin' it. Still lovin' it. Still hatin' anything that prevents me from playing it. And I'm super excited for 15. The game isn't perfect, but I think I'm just in love with the series in general. You know, if a judge threatened to lock me in a cell with nothing but MLB: The Show, I'd plead guilty to anything. I seriously love this game. 

Return to “Now Playing”