Sega Arcade Classic (Game Boy Advance)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Contains Afterburner, Outrun, Space Harrier, Super Hang-On.

I'm playing these on an HDTV (via GameCube) and the pixelated visuals are a trip!  It's like playing the games on an Atari 2600.  I love it!  The games are just like the arcade, and the controls are good too.  The audio is amazing.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 16th, 2014, 12:24 am

I personally think that the Afterburner port is lousy and I was never much of a Space Harrier fan (Although the conversion here seems fine), but I love the two racers.

Thanks to Outrun and Super Hang-On, Sega Arcade Gallery has been a regular occupant of my Game Boy Player, backlit SP, DS, and DS Lite for over a decade now and has to be in the running for my most played GBA cartridge. I especially love firing it up on my SP with its beautiful backlit LCD turned on to bright. 

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » August 18th, 2014, 7:37 am

[QUOTE=Leo]I was never much of a Space Harrier fan[/QUOTE]

Blasphemy! ;-)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 18th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Leo - I agree with your assessment.

Do you think the strength of the two racers is enough to push this cart into A territory??

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 18th, 2014, 11:37 pm

I'd definitely be inclined to to give it an A-, if it were me. In fact, I think they did a nice enough job with Outrun and Super Hang-On where I'd of happily paid up to $20 for a standalone cartridge for each of them and not felt ripped off in the slightest. 

Too bad that they didn't go all the way with this though. The GBA could've definitely done justice to Afterburner so I think they just ran out of time and wrapped up what they had to meet a deadline (Heck, you can't even light your afterburners in this conversion for one of many examples of how it feels incomplete).

That and a battery backup for high score saving would've pushed this all the way to A+ territory for me. 

Return to “Now Playing”