Super Empire Strikes Back (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2015, 3:10 pm

I remember being thrilled about this game in 1993, but today its flaws are pretty glaring.  First of all, I don't remember Hoth being so teeming with life!  Creatures relentless pelt you and push you off narrow ledges.  Slowdown is omnipresent.  They really dragged this part of the game out.

That said, the game is still a lot of fun, especially with that light saber attack flip.  It's remarkable effective.  And of course the sound and graphics are top notch.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 1st, 2015, 10:06 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I remember being thrilled about this game in 1993, but today its flaws are pretty glaring.  First of all, I don't remember Hoth being so teeming with life!  Creatures relentless pelt you and push you off narrow ledges.  Slowdown is omnipresent.  They really dragged this part of the game out.

That said, the game is still a lot of fun, especially with that light saber attack flip.  It's remarkable effective.  And of course the sound and graphics are top notch.[/QUOTE]

Coincidentally, I was just playing this game a couple of weeks ago for the first time in years, and my reaction was almost identical to yours. At first I coudn't believe that I had enjoyed this game so much back in college. The opening Hoth stages can be pretty frustrating even on the easy setting, with the swarming creatures and the spiked pits. Yet I found myself pretty addicted to it and kept playing. The game has a lot of variety; I still really enjoyed takiing down the AT-AT walkers in the pseudo-3D stage, even though they don't look nearly as impressive as they did in the mid-90's. Luckily, the game gets a little easier once you obtain force powers and can replenish your health.

Overall, I'm not sure if I've ever played a game with such a discrepancy between the good and bad things. The good is really, really good, but the bad is pretty darn bad. I like it despite the bad, but it's frustrating realizing that this game could have easily been better.

eneuman961

Postby eneuman961 » February 21st, 2015, 9:33 pm

In regards to the review of this game...wouldn't it make slightly more sense to refer to this as Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and the third game as Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi so that the three games would all be right next to each other in the review section? It's a little unwieldy for the three games to be separated by all those other "Super" games for the SNES.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » February 22nd, 2015, 10:38 am

[QUOTE=eneuman96]In regards to the review of this game...wouldn't it make slightly more sense to refer to this as Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back and the third game as Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi so that the three games would all be right next to each other in the review section? It's a little unwieldy for the three games to be separated by all those other "Super" games for the SNES.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... That would be nice but that isn't the actual name of the games. On the label art for all three games they have different names. Only the first title is actually called Super Star Wars.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 22nd, 2015, 6:45 pm

It's easy to miss, but the two sequels both carry Super Star Wars as a prefix in their titles.

[20860_front] 

[20855_front] 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » February 22nd, 2015, 9:42 pm

Yeah, I'm aware of the boxes but the label of the second game doesn't say that. If you don't own the actual box the cart just says "Super Empire Strikes Back". On the third game, it does actually say Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi on the front but the top of the label doesn't. This was likely due to the space available on the top of the carts. Why it isn't even mentioned on the second game is beyond me. However, I believe if you turn all three games on it does say Super Star Wars on the title screens (I think, I could be remembering wrong). I dunno. Plenty of Super Nintendo titles will have the wrong name on the label, such as Super Castlevania IV, which just says Castlevania IV on the top. It makes sense to change it, at least so the games are easier to find, but I can understand why they are sorted the way they are.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 22nd, 2015, 10:10 pm

Leo,
You make a cogent argument!  I think some rearranging is in order, especially if I update my Empire review.
Thanks
VGC

Return to “Now Playing”