Far Cry 3

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
darkrage61

Far Cry 3

Postby darkrage61 » December 5th, 2012, 2:22 am

Anyone else get this game?  Picked mine up from Gamestop and am loving it so far, I thought Far Cry 2 was awesome, but this game improves on it in almost every single aspect, hunting and crafting is a total blast and the story is pretty amazing so far, can't wait to play some more!

BTW The new Tomb Raider(which looks really good IMO) game looks like it shares quite a few similarities to FC3 judging from the trailer(group of friends stranded on island and captured by soldiers, with one getting killed at the beginning, a protagonist that starts off reluctant and scared and gets pushed into a situation where they have to kill someone for the first time and are shocked by it)

Astrosmasher1

Far Cry 3

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 6th, 2012, 2:55 am

Hated fc2... as it ws so different from Instincts... but that is because FCI was made by a different company...
Might get it when it goes cheep cheep

darkrage61

Far Cry 3

Postby darkrage61 » December 6th, 2012, 11:53 am

Instincts was good and everything, but I liked that FC2 was so different from it, the open-world aspect was really cool and it was neat being able to tackle the missions in differnet orders and having different outcomes, though it was annoying that enemies would spawn at guard-posts even after you cleared them out, thankfully FC3 fixes that, as once you claim an outpost, the enemies are gone for good.  Getting around is also much easier as instead of having to rely on bus stops, you can use "fast travel" where you can click on certain spots on the map and automatically get teleported there(you unlock fast travel spots by claiming outposts), you can also save your game anytime(except during story missions, which use checkpoints) and not just in safehouses like in FC2(well except for the PC version anyways).  The story is also really heating up, Vaas is one of the most insane f*cked up villains i've seen in a video game for quite awhile.

Astrosmasher1

Far Cry 3

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 6th, 2012, 6:19 pm

well darkrage6 it is good that you like this game... also it is great to hear about the guard posts.  really that annoyed me and the guns.  Keep the comments coming as I am reading them and it will make a difference as to whether I buy it.
Worth bearing in mind that Metro last light and Aliens CM are out next year.

darkrage61

Far Cry 3

Postby darkrage61 » December 7th, 2012, 1:23 am

About time CM is finally coming out, when was that first announced like 3-4 years ago?  Feels like i've been hearing about it forever, Last Light sounds good, i'm wondering if Prey 2 will ever see the light of day, oh yeah and Splinter Cell: Blacklist also comes out next year.

Back to the game, another cool thing is the skills system, you earn XP for killing enemies in certain ways(I.E. stealth takedowns, headshots, grenades, etc) and you can upgrade your character in various areas, like being able to hold more syringes, being able to stay underwater longer, taking less damage from falling.  And you don't have to grind all the time to earn XP either unlike most games, i've been playing normally and i've already gotten quite a few skills so far.  I also like that you can heal yourself indefinitely even if you run out of health syringes, and it's pretty easy to craft most syringes, as plants are all over the place and once you've increased your rucksack's carrying capacity with animal skins, it's quite easy to get through enemy encounters without too much trouble.  It feels like Ubisoft really went out of they're way to avoid making this game frustrating like FC2 was at times, which makes me respect them a whole lot.

As for the story, it got really interesting today, turns out Vaas isn't the most screwed up villain, he has a boss named Volk and he's said to be even MORE crazy and evil, and i also met a some CIA guy who wanted me to torch a bunch of weed fields(similar to the mission in Instincts), and oh man was that fun, you get a flamethrower and you can also craft fireproof syringes which once used, let you burn everything in sight without having to worry about dying yourself, you're burning and blowing everything up while kickass tribal music is playing in the background, so far FC3 is a serious contender for best game of the this year.

darkrage61

Far Cry 3

Postby darkrage61 » December 9th, 2012, 11:30 pm

I'm still on the story missions, this game is simply HUGE, the story's taken a few dramatic turns, I saved the rest of the friends, to save one i had to find an ancient knife by going through all kinds of underground ruins, there were some pretty cool set pieces with a couple of of QTEs(thankfully they're more forgiving then the ones in the RE series).  I killed Vaas finally(his speeches about the "definition of insanity" were really starting to get on my nerves) but there's still Hoyt and his privateers to deal with.

Astrosmasher1

Far Cry 3

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 12th, 2012, 2:27 am

cool DR thanks for the updates.. I will probably be playing a bit more RE6 and you would not believe how many other games need my attention
plus I have that Midway collection coming.... I know imagine me on Dave's site being a retro lover....

darkrage61

Far Cry 3

Postby darkrage61 » December 12th, 2012, 10:32 am

Finally finished this game the other day, by "finished" I mean I finished the story(and choose the "good" ending, saw a video of the other ending on Youtube, REALLY glad I didn't choose that one) liberated all the towns, activated all the radio towers, maxed out in my inventory and skill set and completed all the side quests, though I didn't get all the collectables.  All in all it's a pretty amazing game, though it does get a bit ridiculous storywise at the very end with the "choice" you have to make involving one of the side characters you meet.

GaemzDood1

Far Cry 3

Postby GaemzDood1 » December 22nd, 2012, 8:53 pm

I loved Far Cry 2. The commentary on real world issues & pseudo realism made it a ton of fun for me. That and open world FPSs are rare.

Ferf131

Far Cry 3

Postby Ferf131 » December 24th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I definitely think this game deserves Game of the Year. I am only 50% through the single player game. I have played the co-op game it is fun, but different than the single player and linear. They have competitive challenges after certain chapters, which tend to be fun. There is a multiplayer, which I haven't even touched yet. The game have map editor where you can either single player or multiplayer maps with over 2000 items to choose from, which I can't wait to toy with. The overall package for this game is phenomenal. Supposedly there are more co-op levels being developed for the PS3 exclusively for the near future. This game probably the best open shooter I ever played. Crazy things happen in this game all the time. There was a time where I was trying to take over a pirate outpost, by just sniping with a silenced sniper rifle. Everything was going good, until a tiger blindside attack & killed me. You always have to be on alert. Like watch out before you swim across water there chances of being attacked by sharks or possible crocodiles in other areas. It is definitely a mature title due to violence and in game cursing, just in case someone is sensitive to that.

Return to “Now Playing”