Deadly Premonition

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
darkrage61

Deadly Premonition

Postby darkrage61 » April 19th, 2013, 12:38 am

I only recently heard of this game and picked it up used from Gamestop, been enjoying it so far, I like the quirky aspects of it and enjoy the investigating parts, but the combat sections aren't as appealing(they were tacked on at the publishers insistence and it shows), there are some questionable mecanics(your car can actually run out of fuel, when driving normally, yet if you're doing a race or on some important mission, you get unlimited fuel, rendering it pointless) and graphically it's not as impressive as other 2010 games, but for a budget title it's impressive overall.  Of course I learned that there's a directors cut with improved visuals/mechanics and multiple endings coming out exclusively for the PS3 at the end of April, oh well, still can't wait to play some more into this game.

billydeethrilliams1

Deadly Premonition

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » May 10th, 2013, 1:04 pm

darkrage6- Any more thoughts on the game? I'm playing the PS3 edition and I'm enjoying it... for what it is. I have played the 360 version and returned it at the time, but I felt like trying it again given the improved controls. They do make a difference, even though combat is a breeze now. Some of the odd choices do annoy me, like the fuel thing, the hunger, tiredness, pauses to show York opening doors and starting vehicles. But overall I'm enjoying it because it's a unique experience. Reminds of Suda 51's games. However...

If I remember correctly, you played Far Cry 3. Are you trying out Blood Dragon? If not, I highly recommend it. I stopped playing Deadly Premonition because it's so enjoyable. It's Far Cry 3 given a neon makeover, while sending up and referencing the 80's and 90's. I love it. It even has 8-bit style cutscenes!

darkrage61

Deadly Premonition

Postby darkrage61 » May 10th, 2013, 2:52 pm

I finished it a little over a week ago, it was a pretty satisfying experience overall(though I briefly have to restart when I encountered a glitch, DO NOT replay any chapters after you get the key to the diner in chapter 9) I agree with you on the annoyances, there are some parts of the game that don't seem to serve any purpose(the chapter where you play as the rain coat killer, the scene where you play as young zack where you have to run for 4 freaking minutes), it was fun collecting all those cards though.  There is a way to get past the pauses, if you sprint towards a door and press the interact button, the door will open faster, and you can also skip past the animation of getting in the car.

Haven't tried out Blood Dragon yet, honestly I never even heard of it until recently. Can't get it right now since I traded in Far Cry 3, I just finished Dead Island last night(which was pretty fun overall) and i'm going to start Riptide today.

Astrosmasher1

Deadly Premonition

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 10th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Darkrage it is a stand alone game so you can buy it via dlc without having FC3... play the demo and see what you think....

darkrage61

Deadly Premonition

Postby darkrage61 » May 10th, 2013, 10:58 pm

You can?  Alright, maybe i'll go check it out then.

Return to “Now Playing”