Shadows of the Damned

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Shadows of the Damned

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 17th, 2012, 11:58 am

So I just picked this game up and played for a couple of hours last night.  Here are my first impressions.

The game feels like the videogame version of "From Dusk Til Dawn".  In that movie both Quentin Tarintino and Robert Rodriguez both had their hands in making the film.  It was Tarintino's script meshed with Rodriguez's directing.  Shadows of the Damned feels like Suda51's ideas/script/world and the game play mechanics are 100% Shinji Mikami.  In short the game feels like Resident Evil 4 set in some totally messed up world thought up by Suda51.

I don't love the zoomed in camera that is offset and has your character on the left side of the screen.  I think they should have left that view strictly to when you zoomed in to aim.  Speaking of aiming, the shooting in this game is great!  No auto-targeting here...you gotta aim and do it quickly!  It feels nice and satisfying when you quickly blow off a demon's head.  Though I think the shooting mechanics and camera angle make the game harder than it needs to be.  The zoomed in perspective worked in Resident Evil 4 because the enemies were usually slow as sin.  In SotD the demons have a tendency to leap around and it makes it hard to draw a bead on them.  I feel like I take damage more to the clunky combat controls than anything else.  This feeling will probably fade as I play more though.

I like the level design, it is linear, but you can explore a bit and find secret goodies.  The world itself is downright weird, but thankfully you're still exploring towns so it doesn't feel too foreign.

So far the game seems decent enough.  Nothing mind blowing, but entertaining for sure.  Also I noticed that after I'm done playing I walk around the house speaking with a Mexican accent and I call everyone a 'pendejo'.....

Ozzybear1

Shadows of the Damned

Postby Ozzybear1 » May 17th, 2012, 3:44 pm

I've been wondering about this game and since the price has dropped have been thinking about picking this one up

JustLikeHeaven1

Shadows of the Damned

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 18th, 2012, 10:11 am

I'm not sure this was the right game to play directly after Bayonetta lol.  Shadows' combat/shooting feels very sluggish and archaic by comparison.

I definitely like the game as I'm still playing through it, but its nothing amazing.  So far it has just been a very solid third person shooter.  I got it for $22 and for that price I can't really complain.  The game has some neat ideas and the world/level design is really out there (which I like).

I'll be able to play it alot more this weekend and I can post further impressions.

JustLikeHeaven1

Shadows of the Damned

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 21st, 2012, 10:38 am

Well I finished playing Shadows of the Damned this weekend.  While the game didn't make a great first impression it soon won me over with its story and style.  Also I eventually got used to the shooting controls which got easier as you upgrade your abilities and arsenal.  

The game took me about 9 hours to finish, but I probably got about 12 hours of playtime (I died alot in the last few levels).  That felt like the perfect length for a game like this.  The pacing is fast and each new level brings something new and different to the table.  It doesn't feel like they artificially padded the game's length or anything.

There were actually some really cool nods to horror films like Evil Dead 2 and Ghostbusters which I just loved.  In the end the world/story was just really well done and it made up for some of shooting mechanic shortcomings.  Also the game had some really well done puzzle aspects that I wasn't expecting.  I know the Critic didn't love the whole "light/darkness" mechanic, but I thought it was pretty cool.  

If you can find the game cheap I wouldn't pass it up.  It's really different from most 3rd person shooters and in the end I'm glad I stuck with it.  Suda 51 and his team at Grasshoper are quickly becoming one of my favorite studios.  I cannot wait until Lollipop Chainsaw comes out next month.

Return to “Now Playing”