Bioshock Infinite

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Gilly1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby Gilly1 » April 1st, 2013, 10:53 pm

I'm not crazy about the steampunk look to this game. It somehow turns me off.
But that's crazy because this is the game of the year, right?

m0zart1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby m0zart1 » April 1st, 2013, 11:09 pm

Since the word is out by him already, I'll go ahead and mention this.  Our old friend Feilong, i.e. Rob, worked on this game.  He spent about six months or so in Boston working on this game exclusively.

ActRaiser1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 2nd, 2013, 8:41 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]Since the word is out by him already, I'll go ahead and mention this.  Our old friend Feilong, i.e. Rob, worked on this game.  He spent about six months or so in Boston working on this game exclusively.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome!  If you beat the game, take a picture of the credits and upload a screenshot.

billydeethrilliams1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » April 2nd, 2013, 8:51 am

I completed this game yesterday. I would give it a C+... maybe a B-. 

Graphics: Same engine as the original Bioshock, so it's not exactly a spring chicken. I didn't have a problem overall with this, but it is definitely aged.

Sound: Adequate sound for weapons and thuds, etc. Weaker sounding weapons compared to the more realistic shooters out there. As expected, the voice acting is above par, but I wouldn't call it masterful. Everyone does well in their respective roles, but for me no one truly stood out. I guess I'm hard to impress.

Difficulty: This game is easy, and that's a problem. Elizabeth does way too much for you in combat, plus you can't technically die. What's the point of this? I don't need my hand held. If you thought those resurrection chambers(?) from the first game were too helpful, this will make you cringe.

Gameplay: Adequate FPS combat. Large environments with enough weapons and energy based attacks(vigors) to keep it mildly interesting. However, combat does become formulaic by the halfway point, giving way to repetition. I already talked about Elizabeth earlier in this thread, so you know what she does. Decent enemy variety, including robotic Patriots who use rapid fire crank guns, and Handymen, large monstrosities who use melee attacks, rapid movement and electrocute skylines. I felt that the Handymen and another late enemy (which I won't spoil) were not used enough. Exploration seems to have been dialed back in favor of more combat. A more streamlined yet familiar experience. Control wasn't an issue. Easy to use even during large conflicts.

Story: I wasn't a fan, but then again I don't really care about story in video games. It reminded me of a certain movie that came out last year, but I feel like if I say what it is... you know. Not as original as it thinks it is, let's put it that way.

Final: It's a decent single playthrough game, nothing more. I was overall satisfied, but towards the end I wanted it to be over.

Note: I did not play the multiplayer.  

darkrage61

Bioshock Infinite

Postby darkrage61 » April 2nd, 2013, 12:16 pm

Let me guess, the story in the game is similar to Looper?

You nailed my main issue with the series, it's too damn easy, hard for me to get into a game which practically holds your hand every step of the way, I think critics have massively overrated the series since the beginning, it's mostly all style and very little substance IMO

I just finished Aliens: Colonial Marines yesterday and I can honestly I enjoyed that game more then any of the Bioshock games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Bioshock Infinite

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 2nd, 2013, 5:10 pm

billythreewilliams,
Great review - very much in line with my current thoughts.
But I'm only about half-way thru so I'll reserve judgement.
VGC

m0zart1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby m0zart1 » April 2nd, 2013, 6:09 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser][QUOTE=m0zart]Since the word is out by him already, I'll go ahead and mention this.  Our old friend Feilong, i.e. Rob, worked on this game.  He spent about six months or so in Boston working on this game exclusively.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome!  If you beat the game, take a picture of the credits and upload a screenshot.[/QUOTE]

Attached.

feilong801

Bioshock Infinite

Postby feilong801 » April 2nd, 2013, 6:24 pm

Hey guys! Long time since I've posted, but m0zart mentioned that he posted the screen grab I gave him of the credits.

It was a fascinating experience working on a huge title like that. The talent is immense in Boston but I'm also proud to say the Human Head guys held up perfectly fine alongside them

billydeethrilliams1

Bioshock Infinite

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » April 2nd, 2013, 6:59 pm

VGC- Thank you very much.

darkrage6- Yes, that's the one. And now if 2013 me played the original Bioshock, I would probably be much harsher towards it. 

I do want to try Aliens, it seems like an old-school type of game. Remember Alien Trilogy?

darkrage61

Bioshock Infinite

Postby darkrage61 » April 2nd, 2013, 7:20 pm

Never played the Alien trilogy, but I did get the PC version of the 2010 Alien Vs. Predator game and plan to try that one out sometime.

Return to “Now Playing”