Alien Isolation

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » January 31st, 2015, 12:51 pm

Yeah I played it at night, didn't really do much to improve the game and I didn't really feel any tension throughout.  For me the time of day that I play a game makes zero difference in the atmosphere, i'm just not the type of person to get scared by games(or movies and TV shows), guess I just have nerves of steel.

Astrosmasher- I don't think RE has lost it's way at all, personally i'm not overly fond of the first three entries in the series, since 4 was the first game in the series I actually played, it's just hard for me to go backwards from that.  I think the RE series has naturally evolved for the better, it couldn't stay the same forever(the one thing I hated the most in the early games was that awful limited save system, that's also why I have no desire to play the early Tomb Raider games).

ptdebate1

Alien Isolation

Postby ptdebate1 » January 31st, 2015, 2:08 pm

Vexer- the limited save system in RE was a deliberate design choice; as with the limited supplies, it creates extra tension on top of an already very scary game. The fact that you're drawing a hard line between RE:4 and what came before it actually defends the very argument you're trying to counter--that RE has changed. A lot. Naturally, people who favor the old style aren't going to regard that change very highly.

Also, regarding Isolation, I don't think the Critic was talking about tension or horror specifically, but rather the high-quality environment and sound design that make the game feel immersive. These factors absolutely would be affected by the amount of ambient light in the room as well as the quality of your sound setup.

Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » February 1st, 2015, 3:00 am

Personally I think the limited save system is one of the worst ideas in gaming history, to me limiting your saves feels like fake difficulty.  Limited supplies I didn't mind so much(though the inventory system was poorly designed as it was too limiting in how much you could carry, having to drop and pick up items in order to make room for key items that you need to advance was a major pain in the ass, i'm really glad the later games changed things so that key items no longer take up space in your inventory).

I simply believe that RE has changed for the better and not for the worse like others think.

Personally I found it very difficult to get immersed in Isolation when I kept on seeing numerous glitches(I.E. the entire ceiling disappearing, doors vanishing, textures flickering in and out of existence) that took me out of the game, no amount of ambience can possibly make one overlook that sort of thing, and better sound(though there's certainly nothing wrong with my sound at all) isn't automatically going to make what I find to be tedious alien encounters interesting in the least.

I'm actually really surprised gaming outlets didn't mention any of those glitches like they did with AC: Unity.

Astrosmasher1

Alien Isolation

Postby Astrosmasher1 » February 1st, 2015, 5:36 pm

Vexer okay that makes sense.  I played RE from 1 onwards to it has not stayed true to its roots.  As you said you did not play them at the time so it is hard to comment on whether they were any good because of that. 
If you like from 4 onwards okay.  I would say that 5 was okay but 6 was a travesty.  Though revelations was pretty good.  I have not bothered with the resident evil redux.

ptdebate1

Alien Isolation

Postby ptdebate1 » February 1st, 2015, 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Vexer okay that makes sense.  I played RE from 1 onwards to it has not stayed true to its roots.  As you said you did not play them at the time so it is hard to comment on whether they were any good because of that. 
If you like from 4 onwards okay.  I would say that 5 was okay but 6 was a travesty.  Though revelations was pretty good.  I have not bothered with the resident evil redux.

[/QUOTE]

Im not so sure. Are limited save items and limited ammo really that different? They're both supplies that you need to progress in the game--the one is hardly more "fake" than the other.

Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » February 1st, 2015, 9:58 pm

Yeah I was way too young to have played the early RE games at the time they came out.

To me limiting saves feels way more cheap then limiting ammo.

I loved 6 for how it streamlined everything, I was glad that it did away with the tank controls, (which were beginning to feel a bit cumbersome in RE 5), it was such a relief to finally be able to move and shoot at the same time, I also liked that you could do all the inventory stuff from the pause menu and you no longer had to do it an real time and risk getting hit while doing so.  

Astrosmasher1

Alien Isolation

Postby Astrosmasher1 » February 2nd, 2015, 6:55 am

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Vexer okay that makes sense.  I played RE from 1 onwards to it has not stayed true to its roots.  As you said you did not play them at the time so it is hard to comment on whether they were any good because of that. 

[/QUOTE] Im not so sure. Are limited save items and limited ammo really that different? They're both supplies that you need to progress in the game--the one is hardly more "fake" than the other.[/QUOTE]
Well the limited save points and ammo are there for a reason.  It is that it makes the game harder.  You do not get to shoot anything much in the first couple of levels anyway plus the alien is indestructible.
As you are avoiding pretty much everything in the game the ammo is not really needed to get you where you want to get to.  The save points is a separate issue.  I am sure that they have been placed so that it heightens the tension of the game. 
I always thought the worst use of a save point was dead rising.  AI is nowhere near as bad as that game in the use of save points. 

Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » February 2nd, 2015, 12:47 pm

Oh I wasn't referring to Isolation, I was actually fine with the manual save points there(though there were a few instances of check-point starvation I could've done without), I was referring to the early Resident Evil games where in order to save you had to have an ink ribbon and use it with a typewriter.

Agreed on Dead Rising though, I was so happy that Off The Record let you save whenever you wanted to.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Alien Isolation

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 9th, 2015, 12:00 am

I was on-board with the whole manual save point thing.  I was also thinking Isolation was the best game I've played in years.

Then I made a lot of progress tonight, watched a cut-scene, and was suddenly thrust into an urgent situation occurred before I even got a chance to save.  When I died, all was lost.

So now, I'm thinking an auto-save AT THE CUT-SCENE would have been nice at least.  I thought that was kind of universal.

Vexer1

Alien Isolation

Postby Vexer1 » February 9th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Yeah sometimes you get annoyingly cheap crap like that, and I don't think you'll be too fond of the latter parts of the game as there's a ridiculous amount of backtracking you have to do.

Return to “Now Playing”