Super Metroid

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Greisha1

Super Metroid

Postby Greisha1 » April 23rd, 2013, 1:19 pm

Played this again for the first time in ages (bought it with Nintendo Coins or whatnot), and it's still really good. The music is good (love the Meridia music), the gameplay is fair, and the areas aren't too "samey samey" as to become boring.

One thing that REALLY STUNK about this game is the final battle with Mother Brain. What a pushover!! (I remember the battle being more epic as a kid.) I guess it makes sense after obtaining the Plasma beam, but maaaaaaaaannn I would have liked a pumped-up Ripley to be the final boss.

Sooooo after beating this one (and Metroid a few months ago), does anyone have any suggestions as to the next Metroid I should play? Zero Mission? Fusion? Prime? Other M?

darkrage61

Super Metroid

Postby darkrage61 » April 23rd, 2013, 1:37 pm

I would recommend Prime definitely, it was the very first FPS game I ever played, it absolutely blew my mind as a kid.

JustLikeHeaven1

Super Metroid

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 23rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

I'd go with the two GBA games.  Both of them are actually REALLY good games.  Hell, I'd even track down Metroid II on the original Game Boy.  It will give you exactly what you are looking for.  I'm not a fan of the Metroid Prime games and I haven't played Other M.  

You could also switch to Castlevania and play Symphony of the Night or any of the GBA/DS releases.  All of them follow the same formula as Super Metroid.  

Rev1

Super Metroid

Postby Rev1 » April 23rd, 2013, 2:56 pm

I love Super Metroid and I'd have to say the two GBA titles are definitely worth tracking down if you love the SNES game. I especially love Zero Mission and played the game quite heavily a while back. Fusion is a bit shorter then Zero Mission but they are both solid titles. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the Metroid games as they are all solid titles in their own right (except for Metroid Other M which is a hit or miss depending on who you ask).

m0zart1

Super Metroid

Postby m0zart1 » April 23rd, 2013, 5:52 pm

Zero Mission and Fusion are both great.  Zero Mission is basically a polished up and modernized version of the original Metroid, with an extra game segment added to the end of it.

And like JLH said, Metroid II is also pretty darn good.  If you have a 3DS, you can buy and download it from the Nintendo store.

Segatarious1

Super Metroid

Postby Segatarious1 » April 23rd, 2013, 6:15 pm

Metroid Prime 1 is the best Metroid game. It is also a very inexpensive GC game to get, so you cannot go wrong.

I would also recommend Prime 3, but probably avoid Prime 2.

snakeboy1

Super Metroid

Postby snakeboy1 » April 25th, 2013, 1:42 pm

I would agree that if you liked Super Metroid, the safest bets would be the two GBA games.  In fact, I think Zero Mission is one of the best handheld games ever.

Also just wanted to talk about Other M since it was mentioned in the OP...Lots of hate has been spewed toward this game, most of it directed at the story and cut-scenes.  You can count me as one who didn't care for the storytelling aspects, but overall, I enjoyed the game quite a bit.  If you want to try it, just realize that it makes a really bad first impression and you will probably not like the game at all after the first 45 minutes.  However, if you can get past that, the game gets much better, and the story as a whole isn't as intrusive as some make it out to be.  Overall, it's not the best Metroid game, but it is a little different and that's part of the reason why I like it.

Greisha1

Super Metroid

Postby Greisha1 » May 1st, 2013, 7:36 pm

So I bought Prime 1 locally and Metroid 2 on ebay.

I think I will like Metroid Prime ... however, I already died on that "first space station" / "prologue" segment. The timer got me. Drat!

m0zart1

Super Metroid

Postby m0zart1 » May 3rd, 2013, 9:48 am

[QUOTE=snakeboy]Also just wanted to talk about Other M since it was mentioned in the OP...Lots of hate has been spewed toward this game, most of it directed at the story and cut-scenes.  You can count me as one who didn't care for the storytelling aspects, but overall, I enjoyed the game quite a bit.  If you want to try it, just realize that it makes a really bad first impression and you will probably not like the game at all after the first 45 minutes.  However, if you can get past that, the game gets much better, and the story as a whole isn't as intrusive as some make it out to be.  Overall, it's not the best Metroid game, but it is a little different and that's part of the reason why I like it.[/QUOTE]

It isn't so much the story for me that is intrusive as it is the dialog.  Someone who is friends with Rob told me that Nintendo of America wanted to rewrite the dialog for American audiences, but that Yosuke Hayashi objected.  Not sure why that would have mattered, the dialog clearly doesn't work for most Western audiences.  Honestly, the dialog IS intrusive enough for me that it brings the game down considerably.

Anyway everything else you said I agree with.  I think if you can just ignore the cut-scenes and dialog, you can enjoy the gameplay.  I had a good time with the game even though I am not sure I ever got the disappointment of having Samus so... unlike I ever thought Samus should be, and so wordy with bottom-of-the-barrel allegories.

Jupiter1

Super Metroid

Postby Jupiter1 » May 3rd, 2013, 2:28 pm

As bad as Other M's story and dialogue were, the game had a lot of failings in the gameplay department as well.

In an age were even Metal Gear Solid switched to third person aim, why did anyone think it was a good idea for metroid to keep switching between third and first person. 

Return to “Now Playing”