Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
snakeboy1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby snakeboy1 » June 1st, 2014, 1:40 am

I'm really happy that they brought back the single player VS. mode where you can create a Grand Prix with custom rules (and was unfortunately left out of MK7).

Not sure if I like this one as much as MK Wii yet, but so far so good.

a1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby a1 » June 1st, 2014, 2:59 am

just want to say that I am exactly as amazing at mario kart as always. My first three online matches I have destroyed. Cant even see second place in my rearview mirror

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 1st, 2014, 11:40 am

Is there a way to defeat the shells?  (especially the blue one)

a1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby a1 » June 1st, 2014, 12:00 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Is there a way to defeat the shells?  (especially the blue one)[/QUOTE]

The super horn can defeat any item, including the blue shells. You want to use it just before the blue shell hits you. Other shells can be blocked by trailing an item, such as a banana or a green shell, behind you. Hold the item button to drag an item behind you.

Rev1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby Rev1 » June 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

cool, I was wondering what the horn did. It is kinda tough that you can't horde items this game. You risk being vulnerable trying to fish for better items while in the lead (say you have a green shell but are going for the horn, then get stuck with the coins). Definitely will take some getting used to.

ActRaiser1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 1st, 2014, 2:23 pm

Okay, dumb question, what do the coins do for you?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 1st, 2014, 2:47 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Okay, dumb question, what do the coins do for you?[/QUOTE]

Collecting coins (up to 10) increases your maximum speed.  Not sure what the significance is of holding one in your hand.  This kind of stuff USED to be explained in instruction manuals. 

Rev1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby Rev1 » June 1st, 2014, 3:42 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic][QUOTE=ActRaiser]Okay, dumb question, what do the coins do for you?[/QUOTE]

Collecting coins (up to 10) increases your maximum speed.  Not sure what the significance is of holding one in your hand.  This kind of stuff USED to be explained in instruction manuals. [/QUOTE]

if you're talking about the coin power up that gives you 2 coins when you use it.

a1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby a1 » June 1st, 2014, 4:09 pm

Coins also give you a very slight speed boost

http://m.ign.com/wikis/mario-kart-8/Coins

Segatarious1

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Postby Segatarious1 » June 1st, 2014, 7:20 pm

This game is Mario Galaxy Kart. I was playing the Retro stages first, and even though they have been retooled for anti grav, the track design does not shine until you play the new game, and then it keeps getting better and better. And some nice Mario Galaxy music remixes to go with the wild Galaxy inspired tracks. Beautiful and sneaky fast.

Favorite level is the one way 3 part Wario Snow Track.  Glad to see these one way course design from Kart 7 came to Wii U, a crazy fun, creative level. Favorite item is the Piranha Plant, not only does he chomp everything in your path, he also give you a nice mini turbo boost each time he does so.

I love how this game controls, and with all the customizations and vehicle types, I think there must be something for everyone. Should take  a long time to find your perfect set up.

And the diversity editorial guy was wrong -  Miss are obviously the only 'humans' in the game - they are the only ones who think to wear a damn helmet!

Return to “Now Playing”