Paperboy 2 (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie1

Paperboy 2 (SNES)

Postby Herschie1 » November 27th, 2014, 3:54 am

After a stellar showing in a pleasant Suburbanite Neighborhood in the original Paperboy, Paperboy 2 moves you straight to the ghetto. I know that the obstacles tend to be a little out there in these types of games, but Paperboy 2 takes it to the whole next level. The demon from the original game is back, but there is so much more than that. The cute doggy that chased you has been replaced with vicious Dobermans. Being in the ghetto, mothers don't seem to watch their children, as baby strollers come flying out of nowhere. You see people in run-down houses working on their beater cars. Heck, you even get the opportunity to stop a thug robbing a gas station! One neighbor has had enough, and has turned his home into a fortress, complete with cannons. 

Cool, huh? Well, not really. This would be cool if the game was fun, but as Critic mentioned in his review, the game does "come off a bit flat". It's not the prettiest game in the world, and it can be a chore navigating around. In the end, the controls ruin it, you get tired of the cheap shots, and you end up putting this away after a short while. 

This game would have been an instant A+ if they had Clint Eastwood standing there at the end of the level pointing an M1 Garand at you telling you to get off his lawn. 

FinalLapTwinkie1

Paperboy 2 (SNES)

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » December 24th, 2014, 8:54 pm

I thought this was a decent game and much better then the N64 version. The first Paperboy on the Genesis is still my favorite.

Herschie

Re: Paperboy 2 (SNES)

Postby Herschie » August 22nd, 2016, 8:05 am

This is one of those games that I play every now and then just to see if it gets any better. What ultimately ruins it are the cheap shots. In the original Paperboy, you'd have challenging obstacles, but you'd see them with enough time to react (But not too much). In this version, you're riding on the sidewalk, and in a split second a baby stroller comes from out of nowhere, or a mutant hand grabs you from the sewer. Challenging is good. Cheap is not. We want challenging!

Return to “Now Playing”