ESPN Baseball Tonight (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie1

ESPN Baseball Tonight (SNES)

Postby Herschie1 » March 1st, 2015, 5:19 pm

I really felt as if I was playing MLB '94: The Show when I popped this in. It has this slick TV-style camera angle that it uses for the whole game, and you can even see the crowd, which looks nice. The Show has always had a great crowd, and always did a decent job with presentation. I was wondering who made this, so I checked. Turns out it was Sony, so maybe that's why it has a slight hint of "The Show" to it. 

But it's not all glory for this game. It really sucks only having one ballpark, which really could only pass for Atlanta Fulton County Stadium or Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Many games at the time had 3: A dome, an artificial turf stadium, and a natural grass ballpark, so that you can choose the one that most resembles the home team. Judging the pitches is hard to do, and there is no time to react to take a ball. Expect to be striking out a lot. Also, the camera angle is a double-edged sword, making routine grounders and fly balls rather tough to judge. It's a royal pain having to wait for players to run the dugout, and then wait for the other team to take their positions between inning. And I've never seen Sammy Sosa bat left handed.

I had to try this game because it looked rather nifty. It was fun for awhile, but the slow pace quickly had me looking for something else to do. 

Return to “Now Playing”