Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » March 16th, 2015, 3:04 am

My wife and I were playing this game one night. We got to a good part, and naturally the dog starts scratching at the door. So I put my shoes and coat on, and out we go. 

There's this light that I walked him by that really stood out to me on this night. That's because it reminded me so much of the lighting from this game. I felt like I was still playing, like it was a light flickering in a cave (It wasn't flickering, but work with me here). The illusion was promptly shattered by my dog piddling all over the light. Just to illustrate: 

Screenshot from the game:   [1498998_10153768470478228_7666562580741732546_o_zps3snpqjp4] 

The light: 
[20150316_015333_zpszoicfvdm] 

But that's what stands out most to me about Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition; the lighting is just absolutely fantastic. It really says something when real life reminds oyu of the game! Surfaces flicker in unison with whatever flame happens to be nearby. Some more than others, depending on if it's dirt, or a wet surface in a cave. Seeing the sun set on the ocean is spectacular, and on the PS4, you can see a long ways away. At the time I first played it, I was absolutely floored by how great it looked. You can say it's what I had in mind when I pleaded with my boss to let me run to Gamestop to reserve the PS4. 

The gameplay is fun, and intuitive. Like Zelda, there are things to accomplish even when you have completed the main quest. My wife and I both grasped the controls fairly quickly, and the combat is so much fun. Since I tend to get nauseous with first-person shooters, I'm glad that they showed Lara the whole time for that, and, well, the obvious. Shhh, don't tell my wife!

This is a fantastic game, and I recently started playing it again since I need to get my mind off of the upcoming MLB 15: The Show. Games like this see to it that I'll stay sane until then.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 16th, 2015, 9:35 am

Nice write-up Herschie! I feel exactly the same about this tremendously fun game. I've beaten it 3 times already and I'm already itching to play it again. I have an Xbox One too now so I'll be able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider when it releases! [smile]

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 16th, 2015, 3:50 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]Nice write-up Herschie! I feel exactly the same about this tremendously fun game. I've beaten it 3 times already and I'm already itching to play it again. I have an Xbox One too now so I'll be able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider when it releases! [smile][/QUOTE]

The more I read what you write the more surprised at how similar our tastes are, pt. I've played Tomb Raider 3 times as well. Once on 360, once on PS3 (when it released for PS+) and finally for PS4. No question Ps4 has the best version and I'd put it in my top 15 games of all time. I love everything about it.

I don't have a One, so I'll be waiting on pins and needles for that PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 16th, 2015, 4:07 pm

[QUOTE=JWK][QUOTE=ptdebate]Nice write-up Herschie! I feel exactly the same about this tremendously fun game. I've beaten it 3 times already and I'm already itching to play it again. I have an Xbox One too now so I'll be able to play Rise of the Tomb Raider when it releases! [smile][/QUOTE] The more I read what you write the more surprised at how similar our tastes are, pt. I've played Tomb Raider 3 times as well. Once on 360, once on PS3 (when it released for PS+) and finally for PS4. No question Ps4 has the best version and I'd put it in my top 15 games of all time. I love everything about it. I don't have a One, so I'll be waiting on pins and needles for that PS4 version of Rise of the Tomb Raider. [/QUOTE]

No kidding! Well, you know they say great minds think alike [wink].

It's hard to say anything bad about Tomb Raider. My tastes differ from the Critics pretty often, but even we could agree that it's A+ material.

You should be in luck even if you never pick up an Xbox One--according to Forbes, Rise of the Tomb Raider is only a timed exclusive:

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

The reasons that ultimately convinced me to add an Xbox One to my collection are so I can play multiplayer with my family and coworkers who only have the XB1 and the added incentive of cheap games and accessories from my brother who happens to work at Microsoft.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 16th, 2015, 7:23 pm

At least Playstation owners will eventually get to play Rise, but Xbox owners will never be able to play Street Fighter V(unless they get it on PC).

BlasteroidAli

Re: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (PS4)

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 3rd, 2015, 3:15 pm

Vexer1 wrote:At least Playstation owners will eventually get to play Rise, but Xbox owners will never be able to play Street Fighter V(unless they get it on PC).

Yeah!!!! YEAH !!! Great news I hate Streetfighter.

So later this year I will be playing the new Tomb Raider... wooooo

I am playing it on the 1 and 360 as it was my purchase game with the box and the 360 one was free a while back. Super game. Nothing has come close and the critic loved it as well. Fair dues and it was his review that got me into the game.

Return to “Now Playing”