The Beatles Rock Band

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
PitfallHarry1

The Beatles Rock Band

Postby PitfallHarry1 » February 27th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Wow. Let me go on record and say I just recently got into the Beatles (shocking, considering I've been on this planet for over 4 decades). I bought this game because it was cheap, and I thought it'd be fun. Honestly, I have a few complaints. First of all, in practice mode, you can't slow your songs down at all. Was the licensing that harsh? Whammy bars have no effect on the sound either. Also, the track listing, kind of disappointed me. It had quite a few noticeable omissions. Now, the tunes they have kick ass, believe me. I was pleased to hear Dear Prudence (not a very popular beatles song), Dig a Pony, and Octopus Garden. But there are quite a few missing that really could've added to the package. Here's a list of what I expected. Lovely Rita, She loves you (COME ON, WHY THE HELL WASN'T THIS ON THE ED SULLIVAN SET?!?!), Mean Mr Mustard, She came through the bedroom window, Magical Mystery Tour (the intro track) Savory Truffle, She said she said (this track would test the skills of any drummer), We can work it out, One after 909, A day in the life, and Fixing a hole. Granted, those were available as DLC, but the DLC is NO LONGER OFFERED. AT ALL. Plus, if they licensed the songs, why not just throw them in there? I was kind of upset that they neglected Magical Mystery Tour, in my opinion the second best beatles album (Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is my favorite). I mean, 2 songs? Why even bother? Hell, Beatles for sale, and help, only included ONE SONG EACH. Why even bother? It seems they really favored Abbey Road with the amount of tracks, and wouldn't you know, it's mostly the tracks on Abbey Road that SUCK. Then again, most of these tunes do kick ass, and it's pretty fun to play these (mostly) timeless tunes. If you haven't picked it up, I'd suggest doing so...

Astrosmasher1

The Beatles Rock Band

Postby Astrosmasher1 » February 27th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Nothing sucks on Abbey Road. 

Where as the Ringo track girls is lame.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Beatles Rock Band

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Pitfallharry,
Good write-up.  You make some good points.  I noticed that the separation between the instruments wasn't as pronounced in the Beatles game.
VGC

PitfallHarry1

The Beatles Rock Band

Postby PitfallHarry1 » February 27th, 2015, 4:03 pm

I'd like for them to retry this one, honestly. It could breathe new life into the music game genre. If they just pay the extra licensing fees, and do it right, it would be a fantastic package. I'd say they should include at least 5 songs from every album (hell, imagine if they did ALL of the songs).

Astrosmasher, sorry, I just couldn't get into abbey road like the rest of the albums. I regard Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, and Magical Mystery tour as being their best work. Not saying I HATE Abbey Road, it was just of a different pace to me.

But yes, altogether, I'd say if they gave this another go, it might single handedly bring back music games for this generation. I mean, it's been almost 10 years since they were really popular to begin with.

Astrosmasher1

The Beatles Rock Band

Postby Astrosmasher1 » February 27th, 2015, 6:49 pm

I wanted more tracks from let it be and the white album... you know black bird singing in the dead of night take these broken wings and learn to fly. I similarly loved The magical mystery tour.  My youngest memory of listening to a music track is Yellow Submarine... sometime around 1966.  My step dad actually saw them play in Glasgow.
My first gf was obsessed by them.  We used to listen to them all the time.

Beatles rockband got me to listen to Hey Bulldog a lot more.  Great track.

Astrosmasher1

The Beatles Rock Band

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 12th, 2015, 6:01 pm

Well Rock band 4 is coming out on xbox 1.  I hear that all previous dlc content will be available for it so that might mean the Beatles content will be restored.

SigSauerLover

Re: The Beatles Rock Band

Postby SigSauerLover » January 9th, 2016, 1:09 pm

I'm seriously hoping (since it seems licensing of Beatles music is getting less harsh) they come back and do this package RIGHT this time. I'd love to see them release a game that has ALL of the Beatles catalog, I wouldn't mind paying a higher price for it either!

Return to “Now Playing”