Wolfenstein 3D (3DO)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Rookie1

Wolfenstein 3D (3DO)

Postby Rookie1 » August 31st, 2015, 3:45 pm

I have often heard that this is the "definitive" version of the game (as I have with many 3DO games), so I decided to give it a shot.

Im not a PC gaming guy so i never bothered with this game on PC, and all the console ports I have played were pretty lousy. The Jaguar one was good, but I havent been able to get my hands on a Jaguar for a reasonable price and the library isnt that great for me to even consider it. I have fond memories of playing the SNES version when that came out, but that has really dated itself.

Anyways, I was taken back when I saw all of the campaigns available right off the bat. You get the original 3 episodes as well as the 3 Nocturnal episodes (ive never even played those!).

I guess the soundtrack and sound affects were fully redone for this game, the sprites were revamped, and the weapons were revamped. It looks and sounds amazing.

The game plays super smooth. The button mapping is a little weird, I didnt even know there was an overhead map available as the button combo you have to hit to access it is not very natural. You can save after every level, but you cant load your game from the start menu witch is weird. You have to start a new game, and then access the save game menu. Those are pretty minor things though.

If you love this game and have a 3DO, I would highly recommend getting it.

Verm3

Re: Wolfenstein 3D (3DO)

Postby Verm3 » September 1st, 2015, 4:42 am

In my opinion, the PC version has more advanced gameplay and all the content. The 3DO version has the highest quality audio. The Jaguar version is the smoothest.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 2nd, 2015, 6:49 am

Verm3 wrote:In my opinion, the PC version has more advanced gameplay and all the content. The 3DO version has the highest quality audio. The Jaguar version is the smoothest.

What advancements does the PC version have over the console ports?

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » September 2nd, 2015, 10:38 am

I suppose it isn't really as cut and dry as I made it sound.

The console and Mac ports (let's just lump the Mac with the Console ports to avoid writing it repeatedly) were a lot more action centered than the PC original, turning the player into Rambo versus the PC versions fragile spy. In the Console ports you could run into the middle of a room and shoot left and right and win. Do that in the PC version and you will most likely be dead before you can do anything much.

A lot of people also cite that the PC version featured patrolling guards and rotations for non-boss bad guys as examples of the PC versions increased complexity, though in reality, they aren't really used much in the original game.

The content differences between the different Console releases and the PC original are a bit long winded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFhX8bfJOtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQlk27eAD4

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 2nd, 2015, 8:29 pm

Verm3 wrote:I suppose it isn't really as cut and dry as I made it sound.

The console and Mac ports (let's just lump the Mac with the Console ports to avoid writing it repeatedly) were a lot more action centered than the PC original, turning the player into Rambo versus the PC versions fragile spy. In the Console ports you could run into the middle of a room and shoot left and right and win. Do that in the PC version and you will most likely be dead before you can do anything much.

A lot of people also cite that the PC version featured patrolling guards and rotations for non-boss bad guys as examples of the PC versions increased complexity, though in reality, they aren't really used much in the original game.

The content differences between the different Console releases and the PC original are a bit long winded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFhX8bfJOtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQlk27eAD4

I see what you mean about the patrolling guards. The guards in the 3DO are usually stationary, but their AI seems pretty good (I have no comparison to the PC though). As soon as they see you, or you shoot, they are in pursuit. I have even had them take alternate routes to flank me, so the stealth aspect is still useful, and depending on the difficulty setting it may be necessary.

Regardless, this game is pretty remarkable for the time it was released.

Return to “Now Playing”