Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ptdebate

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC)

Postby ptdebate » September 5th, 2015, 11:37 am

Metal Gear Solid V, like every Metal Gear before it, is a story about important-sounding proper nouns and their bizarre interactions. Looking past the weird code names, MGSV is, at its best, a rousing tale of revenge and a brilliant stealth sandbox. It will be hard to understand what's going on if you haven't kept up with MGS3, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes. Basically, it goes like this--Major Zero appropriates military funds for his own sinister goal of controlling the world through espionage under the umbrella of Cipher, a group which is still nominally part of the American CIA. Meanwhile, Big Boss renounces America after being manipulated into killing his own mentor and forms the world's first private military corporation, Militaires Sans Frontières (MSF), with the goal of creating a nation for soldiers without ideology or allegiance. As a powerful non-state entity that knows too much, MSF is a threat to Zero's plans. Zero, therefore, lures key MSF figures into a trap using hostages as bait. Only Big Boss and his partner Kaz Miller survive, although the former is left in a coma for 9 years after a horrific explosion. His awakening is the beginning of MGSV.

What makes MGSV so unique in the series is how videogamey it is. Sure, cinematic cutscenes are still there to advance the story, but they're far less frequent and less lengthy than ever before. Codec interruptions are replaced by simple VO that are mostly restricted to useful information. A huge, open world structure allows you to pursue missions at your own pace and in your chosen order. Most of the exposition and backstory comes from completely optional cassette tapes that you can listen to while riding in the helicopter. The gameplay and controls are refined and intuitive. Of all the Metal Gear games, this is the easiest and most rewarding to just pick up and play.

MGSV's minimalism is a stark contrast to its predecessor, Guns of the Patriots, whose cutscenes seemed to go on forever. Furthermore, it is open and non-linear in contrast to everything that has come before it. When riding from base to base on horseback, it seems more like Far Cry or Fallout than Metal Gear. When you actually engage in a mission, however, it's unmistakably a Hideo Kojima game. Sneaking is essential because you are always outnumbered, but there have never been more ways to attack each situation. It all depends on what gear you have, your play style, and your sense of humor.

MGSV is an absolute joy to play. All those who have lost interest in the series due to its over-indulgence or who have been wanting something new and fresh from the stealth genre--this game was made for you. I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm calling it a provisional "A+."

Rookie1

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC)

Postby Rookie1 » September 5th, 2015, 5:33 pm

This is one of like 3 or 4 games that is pushing me to pick up a PS4. I may just have to take the plunge sooner than later.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 5th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Rookie1 wrote:This is one of like 3 or 4 games that is pushing me to pick up a PS4. I may just have to take the plunge sooner than later.

You can actually get this game on PS3, it just won't look as good and runs at 20-30 fps rather than 60.

Greisha

Postby Greisha » September 7th, 2015, 8:20 am

This is the first game I bought new in a very long time ... and the first game I preordered EVER. I picked up a copy of Ground Zeroes this past March, and really enjoyed it.

The Phantom Pain is a fantastic game. The environments are very large, so that you feel like you're infiltrating an enemy base, instead of just sneaking around a pre-determined path. The whole "Mother Base" thing is awesome, since as you grow your base, you increase the choices you have for weapon roll-outs and the like. For instance, you can get a sniper rifle within the first few missions of the game. And it's immediately useful, if you want to use it (or not). Contrast this with ... say, MGS1, where you'd only get a sniper rifle at a predetermined point, for a few predetermined purposes.

MGS4 was pretty disappointing to me, so it's good to see Konami hit all the marks with this one.

Return to “Now Playing”