Super Mario Maker

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
MoarRipter

Super Mario Maker

Postby MoarRipter » September 12th, 2015, 1:01 am

Is anybody else playing this gem? I was psyched to get it after work today, I've been awaiting this since I first saw it at E3 last year and so far it has not disappointed me one bit. I love the throwbacks to the old Mario platformers, Mario Paint, the different variations you can do in Mario courses like having enemies like Lakitu or Bullet Bills spit out power-ups or coins, the special ? mushrooms that can change Mario into a Goomba or Toad or Peach, and the different graphical styles look sharp on the Wii U through HDMI. Seriously, the SMB1/SMB3/SMW graphics have never looked so good before. I've only been playing it a short while but I'm hooked, I hope this game can turn around the Wii U's fortunes but sadly if Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros couldn't then this may not either. But this game is fantastic. It's perfectly suited to the touchscreen of the Wii U, and the 3DS for that matter, I could see them porting this to the 3DS as well. If you grew up on the old school 2D Super Mario Bros platformers like I did and still love to play them like I do then you must get this game. I'd say about the only thing I don't like about it are the courses people are making that are just "don't press anything, watch my course play itself" that sadly are taking over the charts in popularity. I hope those stupid lame courses die out and quick. I'm really looking forward to seeing the excellent and challenging courses the creative artists out there are going to make for this game. I'd like to thank Nintendo for making another excellent gem for the Wii U.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Super Mario Maker

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 12th, 2015, 9:41 am

One of the games that made me wish I had a wii u. One of the few.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 12th, 2015, 12:31 pm

If anyone has this game, try my first course: "Don't fall and get eaten by plants" ID: A35A-0000--001D-6803 :D

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 12th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Just beat that level of yours. Not too shabby for a first upload. Here are the two I've done so far:

CC1E-0000-0023-1BFA

9C43-0000-0025-79A6

The second one is another one of those stupid semi-automated levels I made mostly to amuse myself, but the first is a legitimate level.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 12th, 2015, 6:39 pm

You get the feel that Nintendo has been wanting to do this game for a LONG time, but needed the technology to get there finally.

juhis815

Postby juhis815 » September 13th, 2015, 8:42 am

I have been pretty much playing 100 Mario Challenge to play the courses created by other players, but I'm mainly playing this mode to unlock costumes for Mystery Mushroom, and can you even believe how painstaking and time-consuming it is to unlock all 100 costumes?! :x

MoarRipter wrote:I'd say about the only thing I don't like about it are the courses people are making that are just "don't press anything, watch my course play itself" that sadly are taking over the charts in popularity. I hope those stupid lame courses die out and quick.

Here's an article from Kotaku where writer LOVES these kinds of levels; http://kotaku.com/the-most-ridiculous-mario-maker-levels-basically-play-t-1726677683

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 13th, 2015, 4:04 pm

I've been hooked on this game all weekend!

If anybody wants to give my level "The One That Got Away," a spin, here's the code:

45E3-0000-002A-C88B

Tron

Postby Tron » September 13th, 2015, 9:50 pm

I normally have no interest to play online, but the way this game was designed reads like a great reason to be online. I sense I'm missing out on something I'd like.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 14th, 2015, 3:17 pm

This is probably the best level I've come across so far, this guy made a Kid Icarus level:

55EA-0000-0014-B8EB

My hat's off to him. I really liked how he simulated a vertical level in the horizontal plane and it replicated the feel of Kid Icarus' difficulty nicely. This is the kind of creativity I hope to see more of. Not autoplay levels or simply laid-out levels with hundreds of enemies or short levels that require a single nearly impossible tricky jump or levels with hundreds of super mushrooms that you must avoid to reach the end, or the worst - ridiculously difficult kaizo mario-like levels that do things like place a hidden block in your jumping path over a large pit.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 14th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Watching videos of this game really make me want to get a WiiU

Return to “Now Playing”