Super Mario Maker

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Tina

Re: Super Mario Maker

Postby Tina » September 14th, 2015, 7:48 pm

It sounds neat but don't have a u, just a wii. Nintendo would have to drastically reduce the u for me to buy.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 15th, 2015, 5:36 am

Tina wrote:It sounds neat but don't have a u, just a wii. Nintendo would have to drastically reduce the u for me to buy.

Im with you on that. The price is pretty steep, and the library isnt anything the write home about. I think the only thing that would make me take the plunge is a new Zelda game, but I have been reading they may concentrate that effort on the next console that is in the works.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » September 15th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Guess I disagree there. The library has more than the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 combined. Super Mario 3D world, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Smash, Wind Waker HD, Mario Maker, and Splatoon are all good examples. Then again, it's not like any of the 8th gen systems have any Pieces of Eight in their libraries either. (Pieces of Eight being a rather essential album for any audiophile, I'm saying that there are no essential games on any of the platforms that a gamer has to have).

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » September 15th, 2015, 12:44 pm

SigSauerLover wrote:Guess I disagree there. The library has more than the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 combined. Super Mario 3D world, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Smash, Wind Waker HD, Mario Maker, and Splatoon are all good examples. Then again, it's not like any of the 8th gen systems have any Pieces of Eight in their libraries either. (Pieces of Eight being a rather essential album for any audiophile, I'm saying that there are no essential games on any of the platforms that a gamer has to have).

I guess it's subjective. There really isn't anything yet on any system that is enough to make me drop the coin for it. Like I said, a good Zelda would do it for me. I have wind waker for GC and that's good enough for me.

The New Battlefront is making me want a PS4 but I will wait for the reviews.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 17th, 2015, 1:43 pm

I really like this game, but the perfectionist in me is having a tough time. It seems like every time I play a level I create, I find something new to edit.

It took me a while, but I finally finished one. I tried to create something that was both fun and challenging but didn't feel impossible:

3FDC-0000-0046-E920

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 18th, 2015, 12:05 am

I'd love to get your take on the level that I've been working on. It's called Mario's Crazy Night at the Club (Rev 1). I use a lot of effects, and I've tried creating a level that's fun, challenging, and something that is also visually appealing. Please let me know what you think of it! Enjoy!

0A0F-0000-0048-F9DE

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 18th, 2015, 8:49 pm

snakeboy wrote:I really like this game, but the perfectionist in me is having a tough time. It seems like every time I play a level I create, I find something new to edit.

It took me a while, but I finally finished one. I tried to create something that was both fun and challenging but didn't feel impossible:

3FDC-0000-0046-E920

I liked your "Spring of Faith" level snakeboy. It wasn't terribly hard, well positioned power-ups, and good use of level area by incorporating climbing and descending portions in your level. I also liked the donut lifts over the plants and the final running spring jump through the spikes to the flag pole. Good job!

BanjoPickles, your levels are tough lol. I'll keep trying but so far I haven't been able to complete either of them.

Here are a few more levels I made earlier this week when I had time,

A level similar to the World 8 airships in SMB3:
0293-0000-0028-34BC - "Ship to ship, bring your cape!"

My homage to classic Donkey Kong:
B07A-0000-003B-6DEA - "Jumpman's Revenge"

I also made this one as a homage to easier SMB3 levels with lots of coins and few enemies in the sky:
D76D-0000-002C-3361 - "Your fortune awaits in the sky!"

Then there's this punishingly hard underwater level that may be too difficult with the Bowser halfway through, I've only finished it once or twice myself, it currently has a 0% clear rating (it's probably nearly impossible if you lose the fire flower you get at the beginning):
822F-0000-0027-258E - "Underwater Maze of Pain"

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 18th, 2015, 9:54 pm

Yeah, they are kind of tough. Lol! My inspiration are the later levels in Super Mario Bros 3 and World which are tough, but fun and unique. I've noticed that I'm getting better at creating levels that don't rely on a multitude of enemies and that's the magic of the game.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 18th, 2015, 10:29 pm

@MoarRipter: Well, thank you. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I've really been wanting to try your guys' levels, but I can't stop making my own. This game is really starting to become an obsession. Even when I'm not playing, I keep thinking about ways to improve the levels I've made. I'm actually pretty close to finishing another one, called "Pitfall Mario."

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 19th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Ok, here's my "Pitfall Mario" level:

4457-0000-0052-70D1

Now I think I'm going to take a break from creating for a while and do some playing.

Return to “Now Playing”