Super Mario Maker

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: Super Mario Maker

Postby Voor » September 28th, 2015, 7:37 pm

That's the issue. Levels that insane aren't even tempting for me. Likewise, there are a bunch of dumb levels, as well.

I do like the little x's that show where everybody died and how you can leave short comments in certain spots.

Nice touch. I wonder if some of the better designers will wind up with a job at Nintendo through this...

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » September 28th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Saw the video for it last week and was not interested beyond watching it once and that was it. Those types of levels remind me of the old YouTube videos of Asshole Mario romhacks of SMW and there is no way I would subject myself to that kind of torture. Good level design is making a level that is not too hard or too easy, something that is fun to play, even something that requires you to complete an objective before you can finish the level. To that point I saw a video from a month ago of of a level that somebody made that attempted to mimic a Metroid level in that it required a bunch of backtracking after obtaining the necessary power-ups to open new areas and 500 seconds was barely enough time to finish it. The attempts people have made to recreate Zelda levels is pretty interesting too. Nintendo could run with this level-builder idea in the future, Metroid Maker, Legend of Zelda Builder, Kirby DreamMaker, Yoshi's Constructable Island, etc.

And the one we all want to see - Mario Kart Track Builder!

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » October 12th, 2015, 11:00 am

I made a new level yesterday modeled after the original Metroid (NES), titled "Escape from Brinstar"

52E4-0000-00A2-8A3F

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 16th, 2015, 10:40 pm

MoarRipter wrote:My homage to classic Donkey Kong:
B07A-0000-003B-6DEA - "Jumpman's Revenge"

One of the first ideas I had when I got this game was to re-create all four levels of the original Donkey Kong arcade game. I guess it wasn't a very original idea since I've seen several levels that try to do the same thing. It's been fun playing them all because while they all try to do basically the same thing, they all ended up doing it in very different ways. My levels turned out to be more of a "re-imagining" of the DK stages, and I ended up taking quite a few creative liberties:

Part 1: CD38-0000-0088-E710

Part 2: 4050-0000-007B-1B57

Part 3: 7C77-0000-0089-0460

Part 4: 9455-0000-00AC-38D5

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » October 19th, 2015, 3:18 pm

snakeboy wrote:One of the first ideas I had when I got this game was to re-create all four levels of the original Donkey Kong arcade game. I guess it wasn't a very original idea since I've seen several levels that try to do the same thing. It's been fun playing them all because while they all try to do basically the same thing, they all ended up doing it in very different ways. My levels turned out to be more of a "re-imagining" of the DK stages, and I ended up taking quite a few creative liberties:

Part 1: CD38-0000-0088-E710

Part 2: 4050-0000-007B-1B57

Part 3: 7C77-0000-0089-0460

Part 4: 9455-0000-00AC-38D5

I tried them out, pretty good levels. Part 4 is a bit tough.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 27th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Good news, Super Mario Maker is getting checkpoints and a few other updates:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super- ... 0-6431749/

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » October 28th, 2015, 12:36 pm

I'm glad to see them updating it. Hopefully they keep the updates going in the future, I'd like to see:

* ability to make slopes and hills
* ability to make vertically scrolling levels
* ability to make diagonally scrolling levels
* add the SMB2 and Super Mario All-Stars art styles
* add pipes that don't take you to a sub-area but just to the end of the pipe (example: SMB3 World 7-1)

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » November 1st, 2015, 2:29 pm

Is it just me or do the gamers playing levels on Super Mario Maker just suck at 2D Mario platformers? What clear rates are you guys seeing on your levels? It seems like to me the clear rates are awfully low, even for levels that are rather easy. The Xs on the map show that people die in the dumbest parts of the level, almost like they're not trying, they die once and they skip to the next level. Makes me wonder if the majority of people playing are younger people that grew up on Sony and Microsoft consoles with first person shooters galore and GTA-style games and never played the 2D platformers of the 80s and 90s, thus they royally suck at them.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 3rd, 2015, 6:25 pm

MoarRipter wrote:Is it just me or do the gamers playing levels on Super Mario Maker just suck at 2D Mario platformers? What clear rates are you guys seeing on your levels? It seems like to me the clear rates are awfully low, even for levels that are rather easy. The Xs on the map show that people die in the dumbest parts of the level, almost like they're not trying, they die once and they skip to the next level. Makes me wonder if the majority of people playing are younger people that grew up on Sony and Microsoft consoles with first person shooters galore and GTA-style games and never played the 2D platformers of the 80s and 90s, thus they royally suck at them.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that you don't have a limited number of lives and no ultimate goal that you're working for. 1-ups are basically useless, so with that, there's no point in collecting coins either. They need to make some way for these things to actually mean something in the game.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 14th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Is it just me, or are the user-created levels getting a lot better? I just played 100 Mario Challenge (normal difficulty) and starred most of the 16 courses.

Not sure if anyone around here is still playing, but here are my newest creations:

Uhhh...Boo? (289D-0000-00E7-5D07)

Mount Vekoopius / Chompeii (DFDC-0000-00E1-DFA8) [There are ten 1-ups guarded by Chain Chomps in this level; can you steal them all?]

Return to “Now Playing”