Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)

Postby Herschie » October 7th, 2015, 5:06 pm

I think this is one of the few games where I don't mind dying because the "Too bad" theme is so hilarious! That honk at the end cracks me up each and every time.

Alas, I never really got much into this game back in 2002, and I'm not really much into it now. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what about it rubs me the wrong way. And why I prefer Mario 64 over this. There isn't anything really wrong with this game, but I dunno.

tortimer

Re: Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)

Postby tortimer » October 15th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Herschie wrote:I never really got much into this game back in 2002...
...There isn't anything really wrong with this game, but I dunno.

I know what you mean. Mario Sunshine has got to be one of the most curious entries in the polygon series. You see elements of M64 and Galaxy there but also the mechanics of the water jet are unique in so many ways. In addition it has an almost open world RPG feeling to it. I do wish I'd held onto my copy as I learned only just recently about the various power-ups that begin to change the gameplay as you progress.

strat

Postby strat » October 15th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Mario Sunshine is better and worse than Mario 64: The pitfall deaths and 100-coin missions are excruciating (I don't remember the level names but the one with the beach and the mini-level where you ride a sandbird was insufferable for getting 100 coins). But it also has the platform mini-stages without the water cannon (My favorite part of the game) and a good deal of it refines the 3D platforming of Mario 64. Plus the water cannon is pretty sweet. I never bothered to get all 120 shines.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 16th, 2016, 6:27 pm

I really liked it, but I struggled so much with the non-FLUDD sections, I gave up on it and have pretty much dismissed 3D platformers since. Lol.

Which is weird because I liked 64 a whole lot, and was just fine with the platforming in that game.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 17th, 2016, 10:47 am

This is the only 3d Mario game that I have never beaten. I got really burned out on the game about halfway through. Still it's a good game just my least favorite in the Mario franchise.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » October 17th, 2016, 5:35 pm

One of my favorites of all time. The FLUDD sections and the non-FLUDD are disparate enough to be different games, and the game is challenging. I will agree Super Mario 64 is a far different animal, but they're both excellent games.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 17th, 2016, 7:21 pm

I think the problem is with Sunshine is that a lot of the levels felt tedious. The graphics and music were fantastic, but the game felt like a chore. And I don't like to do chores.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 18th, 2016, 9:19 am

Herschie wrote:I think the problem is with Sunshine is that a lot of the levels felt tedious. The graphics and music were fantastic, but the game felt like a chore. And I don't like to do chores.

Agreed. With some of the objectives I never really figured out what to do or where to go. I would play the game with my cousins, and they asked me why I never looked up an FAQ. I guess I just never had the desire to. I guess I'd get stuck and wonder if it was worth it to look it up, when the game wasn't all that fun for me to begin with.

Some people love this game, saying it is their favorite 3d Mario, mainly due to the exploration aspect.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 25th, 2016, 7:02 am

Herschie wrote:I think the problem is with Sunshine is that a lot of the levels felt tedious. The graphics and music were fantastic, but the game felt like a chore. And I don't like to do chores.

Come to think of it, the whole time you spend cleaning up sludge. Who the hell wants to play a video game where you clean? Cleaning is a chore. And I don't like to do chores.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 25th, 2016, 9:03 am

I have been wanting to try this and the galaxy games for a while. Never got in to them in the past, but think they might be fun now.

Return to “Now Playing”