Split Second

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ESauce

Split Second

Postby ESauce » November 18th, 2015, 1:11 pm

I've had this game for a few years but have only played it a bit. Last weekend I dug it up and played with a friend and it is a blast. Unfortunately I only had a few tracks and cars and the rest were locked. So I decided to start digging into the career mode so I could unlock the tracks and cars for multiplayer this week. The game is a ton of fun and very well produced. It is essentially Burnout with the added ability to have the stage blow up on your opponents. It actually feels more like the old Burnout games than Burnout Paradise.

The only complaint I have is I was looking online to see if there was a cheat code to unlock all the cars--because while the single player is fun I don't have the time to 100% it and I want to have the options for multiplayer. Well, there's no cheat code, but there is $2.50 downloadable content that will unlock them. Or just $5.00 to unlock all the tracks and cars. What a steal! ...as in, they are stealing from gamers. I miss cheat codes being free.

tortimer

Re: Split Second

Postby tortimer » October 13th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Just recently I've been searching for a replacement for Burnout 2 (GameCube) since that system isn't set up these days. I've been hoping to find something comparable for either my computer or possibly the 3DS. At first the Flatout games seemed the obvious choice but the content was skewed too adolescent. Eventually I was able to narrow it down to Split/Second (2010), Blur (2010) and Sega Rally Revo (2007).

I believe I've settled finally on Sega Rally Revo as I feel confident it will run on my aging Windows XP system and the fact that I prefer a more arcade experience than full-blown simulation style racing game. Any other suggestions for this genre are welcome by the way.

Disappointing to hear about the IAP unlock code on Split/Second as that looked like the perfect replacement for Burnout aside from the astronomically high disk space requirement.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 23rd, 2016, 7:36 pm

thanks for the post. I have never played it but after such a great write up I will have to see if I can get it second hand...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 24th, 2016, 4:52 am

Check out the last racing game release from Bizarre Creations before they went belly up thanks to Activision. It's called Blur and appeared right around the same time as this one did, and coincidentally had a somewhat similar style to it. It features real world cars and locales, but arcade style handling and vehicular combat.

That one is a bit more like Mario Kart in that you directly attack your opponents rather than set up hazards for them. But it's also a lot of fun.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 25th, 2016, 10:07 am

I did not like Blur very much. I love pgr but thought Blur was mixing two style that did not mix very well. Though driving through the streets of Brighton in the south coast of England was great fun.

Return to “Now Playing”