Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retrology

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis)

Postby Retrology » March 21st, 2016, 2:21 pm

Wow. I don't think I can find a more addicting game ever, let alone in the puzzle genre.

This is basically the American translation of Puyo Puyo, a popular puzzle game from Japan, but with Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog characters. I can't really describe it, but there's few moments in gaming as satisfying as pulling off a giant "domino effect" chain of beans and seeing your opponent get slammed with garbage beans.

The challenge is there but it's never discouraging or frustrating, and the game has an "one more time" quality. Oh yeah, music is fantastic as well. Highly recommended if you've never played Puyo Puyo before and you have a working Genesis.

Rev

Re: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis)

Postby Rev » March 21st, 2016, 2:30 pm

This game is awesome. I used to play it with my sister growing up. It was one of the few games she would play with me. We best the game through sure perseveranceb and not really skill. Once you get going you start dropping huge amounts of blob things on your opponent. The game reminds me a lot of puzzle fighter in that it isn't uncommon to have huge comebacks because you get a chain of blocks exploding. Definitely a lot of fun.

SigSauerLover

Re: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis)

Postby SigSauerLover » March 21st, 2016, 3:33 pm

Yes, Mean Bean Machine is great. But if you want a more addicting puzzle game, try Tetris Attack on the gameboy John. It's easily the best puzzle game ever made. With so many variations, and options, it'll keep you hooked!

Return to “Now Playing”