Earth Defense Force 2017 (360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven

Earth Defense Force 2017 (360)

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 22nd, 2016, 1:29 pm

Well since the alien invasion that will threaten to destroy Earth is only MONTHS away...I figured it was time to dive back into this 360 classic. Hey guess what? This game is still INCREDIBLE! I love the ridiculous tone, the way the story gets out of the way of the action, and how over the top the whole ordeal is. This is how I imagined the future of videogames would be when I was 8 years old playing Contra.

The action in this game is so satisfying and it's great playing through missions trying to level up your weapons and health. Then once you're better equipped, you go back to earlier missions on harder levels to hopefully acquire better loot. It's simple, addictive, grinding at it's best.

I recommend turning of the "screen shaking" option as it causes more slow-down than it's worth. The sense of scale and destruction is still mighty impressive. There is a primal thrill that triggers in the depths of your brain when a single rocket fired from a mile away causes a giant building to explode. Man I love this game. I have to stop typing so I can go play it more!

I would say that if you're just starting to collect for the 360 this is hands down one of the first games you should get. It costs about $10 and will keep you entertained for quite a long time. Plus it's one of the few modern games that supports local co-op. Bottom line...it's one of the greatest Xbox 360 games ever made and it's a console exclusive. This is must own stuff folks. Enjoy it now before the invasion begins in 2017! EDF! EDF!

Retro STrife

Re: Earth Defense Force 2017 (360)

Postby Retro STrife » March 27th, 2016, 10:36 pm

The Critic's glowing review got me to buy this game, but, I have to admit, I wasn't all that impressed with it. I only played it once for an hour or so, and never tried it again. Just too repetitive for me I guess.

JWK

Postby JWK » March 28th, 2016, 7:37 pm

JLH! JLH! JLH!

Interesting timing, as I just got EDF 4.1 in the mail last week and I downloaded the update during the short time I was home from work during lunch today. If I don't get too wrapped up watching NBA basketball, I should start the game tonight. I'll post my thoughts here to let you know what I think of it.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » March 30th, 2016, 3:02 pm

EDF 2025 was a bit po-faced compared to EDF 2017. In the process 2025 lost some of the fun.

Like JustLikeHeaven, the series is an EDF! EDF! from me.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 4th, 2016, 11:39 am

JWK wrote:JLH! JLH! JLH!

Interesting timing, as I just got EDF 4.1 in the mail last week and I downloaded the update during the short time I was home from work during lunch today. If I don't get too wrapped up watching NBA basketball, I should start the game tonight. I'll post my thoughts here to let you know what I think of it.

Please do! I'm on the fence about getting a PS4 and EDF4.1 is one of the games I really want to play.

Return to “Now Playing”