Sega 3D Classics Collection (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sega 3D Classics Collection (3DS)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2016, 6:14 pm

If you have a 3DS you need this! Great games like Sonic 1 are even better now (spin dash) and mediocre games like Thunder Blade benefit considerably from the 3D upgrade. A ton of play value here.

Atariboy

Re: Sega 3D Classics Collection (3DS)

Postby Atariboy » May 1st, 2016, 8:43 pm

In case you didn't already find it, there's an extra game here that's hidden. The original Master System version of Fantasy Zone 1 is included and becomes available by going into the extras menu and tapping the bottom left corner of the touch screen.

In Japan, you actually needed the presently unreleased Volume 1 release to access this extra. With that save data on your 3DS, Fantasy Zone unlocks in Volume 2 (which is what we just received).

Glad to see a workaround added for us, but not a good sign of volume 1's chances...

VideoGameCritic wrote:If you have a 3DS you need this! Great games like Sonic 1 are even better now (spin dash) and mediocre games like Thunder Blade benefit considerably from the 3D upgrade. A ton of play value here.

Glad that you like it. Nobody can match M2 when it comes to emulating/porting classic games to modern platforms.

I hope that you get the chance to experience more of these 3D Classics conversions eventually, since Sega has quite a few more like Outrun that are not on this release and are currently exclusive to the digital side of the 3DS. Easily enough candidates available on the eShop for a follow-up volume, including several of my personal favorites from Sega's 'Super Scaler' arcade line.

Nobody was better at fake 3D graphics in the pre polygonal era than Sega was. Outrun, Galaxy Force II, Afterburner, and probably 25 more examples from the mid 1980's into the early 90's easily proves that. Amazing what they were able to do just with sprite scaling and I think that the several inclusions here are the highlights of this release.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Is it fair to dock a grade for games a compilation does NOT have?
I love this cart, but can't get over the omission of Outrun and Afterburner.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 9th, 2016, 2:21 am

I don't think that Maze Hunter has it, but be sure to trigger the FM sound option for the other two Sega Master System games.

Fantasy Zone II will then sound just like how the Japanese release would on your Japanese Sega Mark III, were it equipped with the FM sound add-on module. And M2 actually went out and created a brand new FM soundtrack based on the arcade original for the 8 bit Fantasy Zone 1 port, a game that predated the release of the FM sound module and didn't originally have the feature.

M2 really went all out with these.

Sut

Postby Sut » May 13th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Oh man this makes me want a 3DS !

JWK

Postby JWK » June 3rd, 2016, 12:25 am

I have the game and the ports are really impressive. I don't have a modded or Japanese PS2, so this is the only way I can play Phantasy Zone II Dx/W. Really happy to have a physical copy of that game. But, like Dave, I find the omissions to be truly heartbreaking. Three games that absolutely should be here are: After Burner II, OutRun and Space Harrier. Those three games are the pinnacle of Sega's 1980s arcade catalogue.

I hope we get a second compilation like Japan did. *fingers crossed*

Return to “Now Playing”