Star Fox Zero (Wii U)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 1st, 2016, 8:28 pm

I can't seem to wrap my mind around these controls, and judging by reviews, I'm not alone.
For a game delayed for so long, I was expecting something a little more intuitive.

eneuman96

Re: Star Fox Zero (Wii U)

Postby eneuman96 » May 1st, 2016, 11:26 pm

What is your opinion on the bonus bundled game Star Fox Guard?

Voor

Postby Voor » May 2nd, 2016, 6:55 am

Yeah, classic Nintendo forcing their innovations on you. They should have at least given you the option for the traditional controls. But I wonder if that would make some levels or bosses almost impossible.

Game looks awesome except for that.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 2nd, 2016, 2:33 pm

I keep wondering if it's worth it to pick it up to get Project Guard. It seems like that's the actual good game bundled with a pile of poo.

However, is it worth paying $48 for a physical copy of a download game that's $15 based with a Star Fox game that at the end of the day, isn't all that good.

NOTE: I'm using my Best Buy price for new games when looking at the $48 price.

This reminds me of Wii U's Rodea. I pre-ordered it thinking it would be awesome and I'd ensure I'd get the bonus Wii game. A turd game is still a turd game.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » May 2nd, 2016, 4:32 pm

ActRaiser wrote:However, is it worth paying $48 for a physical copy of a download game that's $15 based with a Star Fox game that at the end of the day, isn't all that good.

It would probably be a better investment to just get Guard on the eShop and only spend $15 in the process. I know downloading games is a somewhat unpopular idea on this site, but even so.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 2nd, 2016, 7:01 pm

Tried the coop mode in Star Fox Zero with friends. It was a complete disaster.

Also tried Star Fox Guard, and it was much better. Kind of a tower defense game that doesn't share much with the Star Fox series. I got it on Amazon and it came on a separate disc, which I like as a collector.

I should probably review both game separately. Stay tuned.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 3rd, 2016, 8:51 am

eneuman96 wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:However, is it worth paying $48 for a physical copy of a download game that's $15 based with a Star Fox game that at the end of the day, isn't all that good.

It would probably be a better investment to just get Guard on the eShop and only spend $15 in the process. I know downloading games is a somewhat unpopular idea on this site, but even so.

Thanks for the advice. That's probably a much wiser use of my money. It's a shame too as I really, really wanted to pick up a good Star Fox game.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 4th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Whoa Whoa Whoa... Easy.... This game is already one of my favorites ever. There is an option to change the control scheme, have you tried that? I had to switch to the second control option and the game plays like a dream.

The Co-op mode is by far the best way to play it. Which makes me think you haven't tried the control variation. Don't rush through this terrific game and give it a D. Remember, the Wii systems are supposed to bring us new ways to play games. I would put this game right there with Metroid- the Other M in that it takes a minute or two to get used to it, but after you give it a shot, its a fun new experience.

DONT GIVE UP. This game is fantastic

Funkmaster V

Voor

Postby Voor » May 4th, 2016, 9:16 pm

How is the 2nd scheme different? More traditional. It looks like an awesome game aside from the wacky controls.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 5th, 2016, 1:18 am

Since I'm intrigued by Guard and completely disinterested in the main game, I went and checked YouTube for unboxing videos for the first time in my life.

It shows that Star Fox Guard comes with its own case and disc inside the box, so I'm hoping that GameStop does their usual shady thing and sells it used as a separate title.

Return to “Now Playing”