Gotcha! The Sport! (NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Gotcha! The Sport! (NES)

Postby Herschie » July 14th, 2016, 11:06 pm

What a fantastic game! I'm big into World War 2. I do reenacting as a hobby. I love games that make you feel like you're storming the beach on D-Day in 1944, defending the Russians crossing the Oder at Seelow Heights in 1945, or keeping the Germans away from the Tractor Factory in 1942. Beach Head 2000 was one such game. Even though the context wasn't World War 2, you were basically defending against the Allies on the beaches of Normandy.

Such is the case with Gotcha!. The context is a game of capture-the-flag with paintballs. But you'll feel as if you're making one big push to take the Reichstag, or making a frantic storm through the Ardennes trying to reach the Meuse river (That's what's so great about these old games, you can really use your imagination). Enemy soldiers run around on the screen, and you use the light gun to shoot them before they shoot you. Kill or be killed, baby! The object is to grab their flag and bring it back to your own. They can do the same, and the music changes if they get ahold of your flag. In order to snatch it back, you have to shoot the guy who has it. He's shown on the indicator map at the top, and when he gets into your screen, you can see him running in the back. Shoot him when you get a clear opening, because he tends to run behind objects.

I had to modify my grip on the Zapper because you need the control pad to move left and right. However, I figured out that I could hold the control pad in my left hand while using it to support the Zapper in my right. I get a nice-steady grip holding the Zapper way out in front of me, like I do in Duck Hunt. That won't work here though. You need to be ready at all times to shoot, and I found that my arms got tired quick. So I had to find something to rest my elbows on.

I'm really having a blast with these Zapper games. Makes me want to go to the range.

Return to “Now Playing”