Resident Evil - Gamecube

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Shapur

Resident Evil - Gamecube

Postby Shapur » August 9th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Just finished Resident Evil for the 'cube. I thought this was going to be the best one yet, but found I had surprisingly mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it looks great. The graphics are obviously a thousand times better than the PlayStation. On the other hand, does it actually play better?

I think I'll say no. I actually prefer most of the things on the PS1. I think the crimson heads were a mistake. Adding more back tracking/item management isn't something I wanted in RE1. It also hurts the weird difficulty curve RE always had. Just starting out is by far the hardest part of the game. If you can get out of the mansion, you're home free. It actually would have made more sense to make the Hunters more dangerous, but instead they seem easier. The character movements also seem a bit slower.

I'm ambivalent about the voice acting as well. Obviously it is better than the original, but it still isn't exactly good. The original was awesomely hilarious but this one is just mediocre.

On the plus side they ditched the respawning lab monsters. I hate infinite enemies combined with limited ammo. :evil: Unfortunately Lisa Trevor is unkillable and you can easily waste a ton of ammunition if you don't realize that right away

ESauce

Re: Resident Evil - Gamecube

Postby ESauce » August 10th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Yeah, I actually prefer the original too. The voice acting and writing in the second one is technically better, but since it's still not good, that makes it worse (still following?). The original game has a B-movie so bad it's good quality to the voice acting; some of the lines make no sense and the actors are as bad as the unpaid spokespeople in daytime tv commercials. The remake is just the same subpar story without the charm of the nonsense lines and with bland voice acting instead of laughably bad.

Return to “Now Playing”