Mighty No. 9 (Wii U)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Mighty No. 9 (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2016, 8:50 pm

I have mixed feeling about this. It's definitely a Mega Man clone, but the new "dash" move that lets you absorb powers is less satisfying that just blasting robots to bits. And why do they assign dash to the UPPER right button. I totally forgot that button was even there! The graphics are modest and I haven't even noticed the soundtrack. Pretty lackluster so far.

Voor

Re: Mighty No. 9 (Wii U)

Postby Voor » September 4th, 2016, 3:13 pm

I watched a play through of this, and it's one of those games that seems to have the formula right, but none of the soul.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 4th, 2016, 8:39 pm

It's actually available for all three platforms (PS4/XB1/WiiU) so it's probably a more attractive title for the non-Wii U systems which are lacking 2D platformers.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 5th, 2016, 12:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's actually available for all three platforms (PS4/XB1/WiiU) so it's probably a more attractive title for the non-Wii U systems which are lacking 2D platformers.

It might be a good idea to review the PS4 and/or the Xbox One versions as the Wii U version is a slide show according to digital foundry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9dgvSUg3KI vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJE5MHZZCeI

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » September 5th, 2016, 8:24 pm

This game was a pretty big disappointment for me, but said disappointment was only amplified by the fact that I was one of the original Kickstarter backers and had to wait two and a half years to play a mediocre game.

One of my biggest issues is switching weapons. In the real Mega Man games, this was pretty straightforward: press Start, select your weapon from a menu, and you're golden. In MN9, you have to press a button to rotate through a menu of icons that aren't clear about which weapons they represent, all while the game is unpaused. Most of the boss fights are terrible for this specific reason.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » October 6th, 2016, 6:29 pm

I want this game, I saw it on sale for six bucks at target the other day and nearly bought it. The issue is I've heard a few stories that it's bricked Wii U's, and I'm not willing to go through that for a mediocre title, any title actually.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 6th, 2016, 7:11 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have mixed feeling about this. It's definitely a Mega Man clone, but the new "dash" move that lets you absorb powers is less satisfying that just blasting robots to bits. And why do they assign dash to the UPPER right button. I totally forgot that button was even there! The graphics are modest and I haven't even noticed the soundtrack. Pretty lackluster so far.

I heard the Wii U port is actually the worst due to crazy lag. Have you noticed anything like that?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 7th, 2016, 8:52 am

I just learned this was on PS3. I thought it was next-gen exclusive. I have heard good and bad. I think I will probably snag it eventually just because I love Mega Man so much. I havent watched much on the game, and really dont know anything about it accept for a few gameplay videos I have watched. I am going in to it blind, so that might be better for me.

Return to “Now Playing”