Perfect Dark (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Perfect Dark (N64)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 21st, 2016, 11:10 am

Since I've written new reviews for Goldeneye and World is Not Enough, I thought it would be a good idea to revisit Perfect Dark to see if it lives up to its current A+.

Nintendo clearly spared no expense with this. The soundtrack kicks ass and the game looks like a million bucks. I really love the modern architecture with all the glass. The framerate is smooth, but I did get a little queasy trying to navigate stairways.

Not sure about the four-player split screen mode. Shooting holographic "sim" players is just not very satisfying.

Your thoughts?

Atariboy

Re: Perfect Dark (N64)

Postby Atariboy » September 21st, 2016, 3:36 pm

If you're not adverse to emulation when reviewing a game, it would be interesting to see what I think would be your first batch of multiplatform reviews by also reviewing the excellent Xbox Live Arcade remaster of Perfect Dark at the same time, via the Rare Replay collection on the Xbox One.

Had some initial hiccups at release, but with the latest updates it should be perfectly emulated. They just eliminated the input lag that some users were feeling with backwards compatible Xbox 360 titles, Perfect Dark again has 1080p rendering just like on the 360 instead of being limited to 720p as was the case when Rare Replay launched, frame rate troubles in some early emulated 360 titles have largely been ironed out with the last few problem titles due for updates soon, etc.

At this point even though you wouldn't be playing it on its native system, it would be fully representative of the experience on the original Xbox 360 (Where Perfect Dark was sadly a downloadable exclusive).

Retrology

Postby Retrology » September 21st, 2016, 6:26 pm

I actually got this game a couple of weeks ago, and while I don't think it's an A+ title, it's a quality title imo. It's satisfying following mission objectives and exploring the levels, though it can get confusing at times. The night vision section of level 3 is extremely frustrating, and it can be hard at times to figure out where you're supposed to go.

Still, I enjoy it. And yes, the music is amazing.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 26th, 2016, 10:29 am

I'm curious Critic,
Are you playing in standard or high-resolution mode?

brendand

Postby brendand » September 26th, 2016, 4:07 pm

I think it still offers so much more then almost any fps to this day with it's huge amount of options very few fps even to this day can compete with it option wise

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 5th, 2016, 6:53 pm

I picked this up complete in the box not too long ago for dirt cheap. Its a really good game, and I wish I would have played it when it came out. Playing it through my year 2000 goggles, its quite amazing and I was really surprised just how much went in to the game.

Return to “Now Playing”