Until Dawn (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven

Until Dawn (PS4)

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 26th, 2016, 9:11 am

So basically once September hits all bets are off for scary movies, horror games, and Halloween goodness. Well, I picked up a PS4 slim the day it came out and Until Dawn was the first game I grabbed. As a horror nut, I've been eyeing this game since it came out since I've heard mostly good things from a few friends.

I haven't read any reviews or information about the game, so I basically went in blind. The game plays out like recent "interactive storytelling games" Heavy Rain or something Telltale might produce. It's lots of walking around, doing quick time events, and examining items. Typically, not stuff that I'm a fan of.

However, the setting is a semi-abandoned mountain resort...and the whole thing plays out like a teenager slasher film. It actually reminds me quite a bit of a Swedish film named "Fritt vilt" (Cold Prey). There appears to be a madman running around looking to off the cast of characters one by one. It feels incredibly authentic. The pace in the beginning is slow as you get introduced to the characters, but the dark snowy setting instantly provides chills. When you're tasked with walking around in the dark it's incredibly unnerving.

I'm probably only 2-3 hours in at this point, but I'm really having quite a bit of fun. While I'm playing I'm constantly on edge and fearful of what is lurking in the dark. So far this one is living up to the hype.

snakeboy

Re: Until Dawn (PS4)

Postby snakeboy » September 26th, 2016, 1:49 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote: Well, I picked up a PS4 slim the day it came out and Until Dawn was the first game I grabbed.

Funny. I bought the PS4 slim right after it came out too, and Until Dawn was near the top of my list. Actually it was no. 3 behind the Pinball Arcade seasons 1 and 2, all of which I bought before the system.

I'm definitely looking forward to starting Until Dawn in the next few weeks. Looks like the perfect Halloween game.
Last edited by snakeboy on September 26th, 2016, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rev

Re: Until Dawn (PS4)

Postby Rev » September 26th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Until Dawn may lack in the game play department but it makes up for it with everything else. The characters are a lot of fun, as the plot continues they develop, the plot is very interesting, especially as you figure out who the real enemy is, and piecing together the real plot and the whole story is heavily encouraged and usually requires at least two run throughs. I beat the game three times in a row to get 100% completion and make sure I saw everything the game had to offer. One of my favorite horror games. It really felt like a good teenage slasher.

Return to “Now Playing”