Sonic '06 (PS3)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Sut
Posts: 570
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Sut » November 12th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Thought it was about time I tried this out myself sometimes when a game gets a bad rap everyone hits on it for the laughs. I believe Vexer/Darkrage got some enjoyment out of it. I'm thinking of playing Sega's PS3 output chronologically to how low they dropped before picking up again with Generations and Racing Transformed.

Only just fired this up for a quick initial look.

The intro has High production values, but realistic humans and hedgehogs are a weird combination for sure.

I've wondered around town and saved at the point you meet Tails. Yes and already I can see the framerate is unstable. Will play more tonight and post more thoughts later.

User avatar
Atarifever
Posts: 347
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 5:55 am

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Atarifever » November 16th, 2016, 5:24 am

Sut wrote:Thought it was about time I tried this out myself sometimes when a game gets a bad rap everyone hits on it for the laughs. I believe Vexer/Darkrage got some enjoyment out of it. I'm thinking of playing Sega's PS3 output chronologically to how low they dropped before picking up again with Generations and Racing Transformed.

Only just fired this up for a quick initial look.

The intro has High production values, but realistic humans and hedgehogs are a weird combination for sure.

I've wondered around town and saved at the point you meet Tails. Yes and already I can see the framerate is unstable. Will play more tonight and post more thoughts later.

I really gave this one he ol' college try. There is only so ol' and so college one can try. This game is the only game I've played that is nearly universally reviled and still not hated as much as it deserves.

Sut
Posts: 570
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Sut » December 9th, 2016, 3:44 am

Wow - I have always thought this cannot be as bad as everyone makes out.

But already after only playing the first 'proper' level I'm frustrated. The controls are horrific. Sonic is hardly easy to control but Tails is even worse, when you first take control of him he's not even facing the right direction.

I've not even beat this first stage and I've died, like a lot and this is the first stage! The unfortunate thing is most of the time I've not felt it's my fault. The controls have either let me down or the game just seem to stop responding.

Will give this a couple more hours but I can't see me deriving any enjoyment from this.

The only plus side is the graphics and presentation are very nice, but it feels like I'm playing a beta release.

On another note this game also epitomises why games should always install to HDD for 7th and 8th gen games. The loading times and disc access is jarring. Shocked Sega never patched it for a HDD install, that alone would be a major improvement.

User avatar
Atarifever
Posts: 347
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 5:55 am

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Atarifever » December 9th, 2016, 5:28 am

Yep. It is just absolutely the worst. You'll think again and again "hey, this isn't so bad, I think I finally got the controls figured out." Then, nope, you don't. Because there is no figuring this game out. It is flat out unplayable garbage. It really sucks knowing that Sega HAD to know this. You play for 3 seconds and you know this. The QA team had to tell them. The producers, directors, programmers, etc. all would have played it. They knew it was this utterly terrible and broken, and released it anyway. It is gross.

User avatar
Rookie1
Posts: 697
Joined: August 6th, 2015, 7:42 am

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Rookie1 » December 9th, 2016, 10:47 am

Atarifever wrote:Sega HAD to know this. You play for 3 seconds and you know this. The QA team had to tell them. The producers, directors, programmers, etc. all would have played it. They knew it was this utterly terrible and broken, and released it anyway. It is gross.


I find myself saying this more and more when I play recent games. Arkham Origins was like this. It was so buggy that it was borderline unplayable at times, and then there were so many game breaking glitches that it was almost impossible to progress. When I finally patched it, it took almost 30 minutes to download and install everything. Even with that, the game was still broken in many parts.

Pretty horrible if you ask me.

Sut
Posts: 570
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Sut » December 9th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Had another half hour on this tonight. I seriously cannot beat the first level ! The running section is horrendous Sonic glitches around and controls are mush don't think I'm going to get to the point where I can try out Shadow and Silvers levels.

User avatar
Atarifever
Posts: 347
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 5:55 am

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Atarifever » December 9th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Sut wrote:Had another half hour on this tonight. I seriously cannot beat the first level ! The running section is horrendous Sonic glitches around and controls are mush don't think I'm going to get to the point where I can try out Shadow and Silvers levels.


You're dodging a bullet on the Silver stages in particular. That's where I finally said "no, absolutely not." I could not get the camera to agree at all, and given that you are telekenetically moving boxes you then stand on, and IIRC falling kills you, a bad camera is pretty much the end of it. And I am pretty great at Sonic games, so I really did try and should have been able to make it work eventually.

eneuman96
Posts: 276
Joined: April 13th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby eneuman96 » December 10th, 2016, 12:24 am

Sonic 06 is legendarily broken. Attempting to play it all the way through is definitely going to leave a mark on your sanity.

Is it even possible to complete it without triggering a single glitch?

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 366
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Stalvern » December 10th, 2016, 2:48 am

I was mildly curious about this game, but I lost any desire to play it myself after I saw these poor souls do it. I generally can't stand Let's Plays, but this is something else completely: five guys got together one night and tried to tag-team play through the whole thing in one sitting. Watching it feels like you're in the room with them, making (incredibly stupid) history. It's one of the craziest and funniest things I've seen in my life; I had to binge-watch the videos like I was catching up on a TV show. Give it a go - at worst, you'll see more of the game (and more of its preposterous glitches) than you'd ever have the patience to get through on your own.

User avatar
Rev
Posts: 1291
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Re: Sonic '06 (PS3)

Postby Rev » December 10th, 2016, 11:21 am

I think this is one of those games that every modern gamers pick up once in their life to see if the game is really that bad. Kind of like a modern day equivalent to dragons lair on nes.


Return to “Now Playing”