Wizards & Warriors II Iron Sword

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Rookie1

Wizards & Warriors II Iron Sword

Postby Rookie1 » November 22nd, 2016, 6:44 pm

I dont even know where to begin . Who was the programmer that put in a non-stop barrage of enemies flying at you that you cant hit no matter where you are in the game? Birds and tornados and demons and little purple things and this and that and this and that. Its just non-stop. How are you supposed to make any heady in this game? I made it to the cloud stage, but used up all of my continues and got a game over. I just dont get it.

Anyone out there with some insight to how you are supposed to play through this game?

JustLikeHeaven

Re: Wizards & Warriors II Iron Sword

Postby JustLikeHeaven » November 23rd, 2016, 5:18 pm

Only Fabio can defeat this game!

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 24th, 2016, 11:57 am

I remember struggling at this game as a kid. I got to the point where I could get through the first stage (meaning both the mountain and cloud areas) while only losing one life or so. I got stuck in the second stage, but that was more because I was trying to follow the advice of a cheap, badly-written "hints and tips" book that was telling me to do something that was not just wrong, but blatantly impossible. It's a matter of efficiency - since you're going to be attacked by everything at all times, you'll reduce the amount of damage you take simply by knowing where to go. I eventually put in a cheat code and tried to fight the final boss - which is actually four bosses you fight simultaneously - and boy, you ain't seen nothing yet.

There's a speedrunner named Feasel that I watch from time to time who currently has (or has had in the past) the world record in a bunch of different games - including the original Wizards and Warriors. He wanted to learn this game and in the beginning even he was taken aback by just how difficult it was - and this is a guy who routinely runs Zelda II.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » November 25th, 2016, 9:37 am

The physics are different in Ironsword compared to the original Wizards and Warriors. The first game also had a more powerful sword in the beginning and let you use projectile weapons. Like others have said, this game really leapt up in difficulty compared to Wizards and Warriors 1.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » November 25th, 2016, 12:21 pm

This is a game that could have been excellent but is marred by bad design and sloppy programming. It's really short though. It can be beaten in under 15 minutes.

The first level is a terrible introduction with the non-stop assault from enemies, your useless sword, and the frustrating platforming. If you can survive the first level then the game opens up somewhat. The second level is a lot easier and more fun. Level three is as far as I've gotten.

The game also suffers from glitches. A particularly nasty glitch is the game crashing and having to reset if you run out of health while going through a door.

RARE programmed this one. They would go on to do much better. I love Battletoads and Donkey Kong Country.

Return to “Now Playing”