Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Wii)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Atarifever

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Wii)

Postby Atarifever » December 3rd, 2016, 8:34 am

Picked this up last week for $6.90, taxes in. That's about what I've always assumed I would one day end up spending to try out a COD game. So far, it's a mixed bag for me. Having watched a lot of online gameplay videos for these games over the years, the campaign is the uninspired army-talk heavy, autopilot rails shooter I always assumed. Why do I even have any guns? I usually can't even make out where the enemy is, who they are, or what my objective is, but as long as I walk to the dumb objective circle my army buddies will clear the room and I'll jump aboard a helicopter or something and win. I will give the game this, the character development so far is exceptional. I'll always remember when Gruff Voice 1 said "clear the room" and Gruff Voice 2 said "RPG incoming!" Oh boy. And those mission briefings? "The bad guys have a thing they're doing. We need to head to echo base bravo Charlie Duck Duck Goose and blow up the thing so we can move to the next RND strike Alpha Bravo team base gun shoot bang bang." Oh my. How do people play this seriously? Honestly.

Now the online. That is actually a nice surprise. Still lots of people online, so it's still easy to get a deathmatch going anyway. I'm starting to figure that part out, and there is a lot of fun to be had here. I can see how the badges, special bonuses, clever maps, and weapon selection can become addictive. It has a very, very strong "one more time" appeal. I think I'll spend a lot of time here. Like "a lot" a lot. One of the best uses one can make of $5 or $6 would be to pick this game up if you still have a Wii collecting dust and want to see what online is like (or used to be like) in COD games.

I'll probably finish the campaign too, but I'm tempted to buy it on PS3 instead so I can get some easy trophies for walking through the levels instead.

Atarifever

Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Wii)

Postby Atarifever » December 12th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Holy cow. I don't believe it: this game is good. I honestly cannot believe I like this game.

I finally see how people play these every year. The checkpoints are placed closely enough to avoid frustration and to allow for brief play sessions. The levels are so linear that even if I walk away from the game for 2 days, I can come back and quickly pick back up wherever I was in the level. Online matches are short and constantly reward you for doing essentially anything.

The multiple perspectives in the story are a bit jarring, but they make sure you never just sit through too much exposition, but instead let you play through the exposition.

The set pieces are pretty mindless, but also happen so quickly they actually flow pretty well from whatever just happened before them. And around the whole thing is a very simple "good guys are good, bad guys are bad" narrative.

For a game that sits so far outside my actual worldview, I can appreciate it for the low commitment, high production, popcorn escapism it is. With my limited available playtime, this is just what the doctor ordered.

One more fun thing, I found this video comparing the Wii version of Mw1 to the PS4 remake. I think it's a pretty funny look at the difference between the least and most powerful systems the game is running on. I find myself viewing the low spec Wii ones in a favourable light, as they're so crude by comparison, they're already almost retro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK9azT2cutI

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » December 13th, 2016, 10:39 pm

I bought this game a while back, but I haven't even taken it out of the shrink wrap yet. You're kinda making me want to play it now.

I actually do like Wii Call of Duty games quite a bit. Both World at War and Black Ops were a lot of fun. I also have the first Modern Warfare game, and while I can't think of anything in particular about it that I didn't like, for some reason it didn't suck me in like the other two.

Just curious...do you play using the Wii remote/nunchuk or classic controller? I almost always prefer the Wii remote/nunchuk setup.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 14th, 2016, 5:06 am

snakeboy wrote:
Just curious...do you play using the Wii remote/nunchuk or classic controller? I almost always prefer the Wii remote/nunchuk setup.

In other FPS games on the system (Red Steel, Conduit 1 & 2, etc.) I usually use the wiimote/nunchuck. I'm pretty good with that setup. However, for some reason in this game, I don't really like that setup, and I use the classic controller pro. I saw online that apparently the wiimote/nunchuck is better, because then running and walking don't throw off your aim the same way (because you are aiming, and the accuracy is really all up to you), but for some reason I can't get comfortable that way in this game.

Return to “Now Playing”