Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (Wii U)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (Wii U)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2017, 8:13 pm

I think I love this game. It is quality thru-and-thru with a degree of originality that's astounding. Add in gorgeous cell-shaded graphics, pinpoint control, and a bouncy pop-music soundtrack, and you have a slam dunk winner.

This might be the best 2D platformer since Sonic the Hedgehog!

CaptainCruch

Re: Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (Wii U)

Postby CaptainCruch » January 17th, 2017, 3:55 am

I played the prequel Shantae and the Pirates Curse on Nintendo 3DS (also available as retail!) and I thought that was a pretty good platformer too! (Not 'the best 2D platormer since Sonic the Hedgehog', because that is of course Shovel Knight :), but pretty good nonetheless).

MrLuck87

Re: Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero (Wii U)

Postby MrLuck87 » January 20th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Best since Sonic? It's excellent but that's discounting way too many awesome games that came out in the 90's.

I actually think the two previous games are a lot better than this one with Pirate's Curse being by far the best in the series. Something felt a little off about 1/2 Genie Hero. It's still a fun game from start to finish but it almost feels like the game was incomplete or something. It's like it's a bunch of DLC levels pieced together loosely with a story fans have already heard. Pirate's Curse had a good bit more challenge, better music, and more innuendo. Remember the drool or the desert princess levels from Pirate's Curse? This game has no moments like that. There's almost too many reused moments from the previous games for a title that's as short as it is. I almost feel like this game was made more for kids or people who barely play 2d platformers instead of fans.

It's still a solid title but once the honeymoon phase is over I think fans are going to vastly prefer the other games. Pirate's Curse and Risky's Revenge are probably slightly easier than Super Metroid while I'd consider 1/2 Genie Hero to be up there with Yoshi's Story as one of the easiest platformers I've ever played.

Here's how I'd rate the games:

1. Pirate's Curse - A
2. Risky's Revenge - A-
3. 1/2 Genie Hero - B
N/A Shantae (Haven't played it)

Return to “Now Playing”