Rocket League (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Rocket League (PS4)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2017, 6:48 pm

Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Old-school arcade action and four-player split-screen!

My friend Scott gave me this game and it's a winner.
You have vehicles knocking around soccer balls and hockey pucks in huge arenas, kind of like a smash-up derby sports game.

There's a lot of replay value but Rocket League is also good for a quick play.
Full review coming soon. Also available for XboxOne.

MrLuck87

Re: Rocket League (PS4)

Postby MrLuck87 » February 1st, 2017, 1:14 am

The funny thing is that it's predecessor, Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle-Cars, has actually been a PS3 exclusive since 2008! I'd tell people to check out the game when talking about PS3 exclusives but no one listened. Instead I'd keep hearing the stupid, "PS3 has no gamez lol" meme. It's still weird how big the game got nearly a decade later. It's still available on the PS Store for $3.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 1st, 2017, 5:28 am

A YouTube channel called "Noclip" has a GREAT documentary feature thing on the making of this and Supersonic etc. Cars, and it is well worth a watch by anyone who likes games. They have an equally great documentary about the making of the latest "Doom" that really shows how much thought went into bringing that franchise back to form. Noclip has quickly become my favourite youtube channel, and I can't recommend this documentary enough.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2017, 4:24 pm

I just discovered my X-Arcade PS4 adapter allows me to connect any PS2 controller to my PS4! So now I have a third controller for Rocket League!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 12th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Finishing this review and it's becoming clear this is one of the best games of this generation.

I just have one complaint which the C64 Critic does not share. Why is there no music during the matches? The menu music has a nice vibe, mixing vocals with electronic beats. The matches however are relatively quiet.

The C64 Critic doesn't see an issue, since most modern sports games don't have music during the game. Yeah, but games like Madden and The Show have commentary. This game does not and the sound effects are even integral to the action.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Return to “Now Playing”