Resident Evil 7

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
eneuman96

Resident Evil 7

Postby eneuman96 » February 6th, 2017, 4:12 pm

Many people have been praising this as a return to form for the Resident Evil series. The only other game in the series I've played a substantial amount of is Resident Evil 4, and even though I haven't finished this one yet, I can't help but notice that the developers seemed to purposely design this to be the opposite of RE4 in many ways.

Many say this is the first Resident Evil game in a long time to be genuinely scary, and it does a great job of accomplishing that with its first-person perspective and the constant sense of vulnerability. Unlike RE4, this game seems to go out of its way to ensure that you never feel like a badass (even after you find a shotgun, which ammo for is relatively scarce) and that you always feel on edge. One thing RE7 is excellent at doing is convincing you that an enemy could ambush you at any moment, and if you play it with the sound on (practically a requirement considering how useful it is), you'll start to get nervous upon hearing literally anything. The main enemies are a redneck family called the Bakers who have Wolverine-esque healing abilities, but you'll occasionally encounter vaguely human-shaped masses of black goop instead.

As good as it is at scaring the hell out of the player, RE7 isn't perfect. The item management system is a step backwards from
RE4 and you'll sometimes wander about aimlessly wondering what you're supposed to find next. Additionally, it's not great at conveying how to deal with the Bakers. For example, you're given the impression early on that shooting Jack, the father of the family who constantly stalks you, doesn't hurt him, but it turns out doing so enough times will temporarily "kill" him, which I only found out by accident. There's a boss fight against him where you use a chainsaw, but the game once again gives the impression that you're doing something wrong by attacking him with the chainsaw, because he doesn't give a reaction that indicates he's taking damage. You're actually supposed to chainsaw him several times until a huge cyst-like growth pops out of his shoulder, which is your cue to go to town on it, but the game doesn't convey this very well.

Regardless, I always look forward to playing more of RE7 and seeing what else it has to offer. Though I prefer the more action-packed gameplay of RE4, this is definitely the scarier of the two games.

Rookie1

Re: Resident Evil 7

Postby Rookie1 » February 8th, 2017, 7:03 am

I hated RE4 and didnt even bother with subsequent games in the series. I played a demo of R5 I think it was. I was In South Africa I think, and just mindlessly shooting angry people coming at me with farm tools. Meh. But RE4, I feel was just awful. It alwasy gets so much praise, and I can never figure out why.

With that being said, I am almost tempted to buy in to the next gen world just to play this game. Well, this game and Doom. I have been watching gameplay of RE7 lately, and man, it looks like an amazing game. I wish VR wasnt so dang expensive, as I would love to play this game using that. Seems like it would be awesome to play that way.

Return to “Now Playing”