Fighting Vipers 2 (Dreamcast)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Fighting Vipers 2 (Dreamcast)

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2017, 8:44 pm

I'm trying to review Fighting Vipers 2 but the game has freezed on me twice. Both times my opponent was being kicked into a wall with a circle showing around him. Do you think I got a bad copy of the game? I might polish the disc to see if that helps.

It's too bad because the game is a lot of fun. The gameplay is pure arcade and I love the city backdrops.

I should also mention I'm using a Gameshark to place this Japanese game on my American Dreamcast.

Sonicx9

Re: Fighting Vipers 2 (Dreamcast)

Postby Sonicx9 » February 11th, 2017, 9:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm trying to review Fighting Vipers 2 but the game has freezed on me twice. Both times my opponent was being kicked into a wall with a circle showing around him. Do you think I got a bad copy of the game? I might polish the disc to see if that helps.

It's too bad because the game is a lot of fun. The gameplay is pure arcade and I love the city backdrops.

I should also mention I'm using a Gameshark to place this Japanese game on my American Dreamcast.

It sounds like you got a bad copy because my copy works like a charm via using Sega Dreamcast Cheats N Codes CD Volume 1 which is how I play my Japanese Import Sega Dreamcast games, and the 1 PAL exclusive game, Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles.

First try polishing the disc, and if it is still having problems, try refunding the game from where you bought it, and try getting another Japanese copy, or try buying/using Sega Dreamcast Cheats N Codes CD Volume 1 over here if it gives you less problems!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast- ... 0313050337

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2017, 9:22 pm

This is kind of strange. I tried polishing the disc, but same result.

Then I remembered I had another disc that let me play imports called the DC-X. The only problem with that is it doesn't work with the VGA cable, so I had to play on a normal TV. Well, you lose a lot of detail in the graphics (especially the backdrops) but the game seemed to work fine. I completed the entire arcade mode without it locking up.

I would prefer to play it on my big screen via VGA but it's still a good game either way.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 11th, 2017, 10:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is kind of strange. I tried polishing the disc, but same result.

Then I remembered I had another disc that let me play imports called the DC-X. The only problem with that is it doesn't work with the VGA cable, so I had to play on a normal TV. Well, you lose a lot of detail in the graphics (especially the backdrops) but the game seemed to work fine. I completed the entire arcade mode without it locking up.

I would prefer to play it on my big screen via VGA but it's still a good game either way.

If you want better quality in VGA mode try the following critic?

1. Try buying/using Sega Dreamcast Cheats N Codes CD Volume 1 disc from eBay, as that is what I used for my copy and never had any issues what so ever!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast- ... 0313050337

2. You can technically try to use DC-X, as it does sometimes work with VGA, it just depends on the game title, that is all. Here is the info on Racketboy.com "When you hear the disc stops spinning you can put in your import game."

"It should boot up just fine, even though you got the 'no support' message..."

"To access the special options screen press any button before you close the lid after you put in your import..."

3. Try burning a Codebreaker disc over here, as it also works in VGA mode.: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... ootloader/

4. The copy you may have is a bootleg CD-R and not the official GD-Rom disc.

5. It could be because the system you are playing on is having problems, try the game on a different Sega Dreamcast console.

6. You can try refunding the game from where you bought it, and try getting another Japanese copy on either eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... st&_sop=15, or Amazon.com.: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... +dreamcast, or try the PAL version copy on eBay to see if you get better results. (note:Some times VMU saves are cross region game compatibly, while others are not, it depends on the title.)

7. Also there is a upcoming Sega Dreamcast HDMI cable that could help out!: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... n-for.html

And if you are still having problems/issues, please let me know and I can try helping you out some more if needed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 12th, 2017, 11:25 am

Sonic,
You are a wealth of information! I went ahead and ordered a copy of cheats and codes. Can't go wrong for $4.
Also, love the idea of an HDMI cable for the Dreamcast.
I specifically bought a television with a VGA input a few years back, but even then it was hard to find because they were being phased out.
Thanks
VGC

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 12th, 2017, 12:00 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Sonic,
You are a wealth of information! I went ahead and ordered a copy of cheats and codes. Can't go wrong for $4.
Also, love the idea of an HDMI cable for the Dreamcast.
I specifically bought a television with a VGA input a few years back, but even then it was hard to find because they were being phased out.
Thanks
VGC

Critic, I am glad you are trying many of my potential suggestions, because I have the Japanese version of Fighting Vipers 2 for Sega Dreamcast, and use Cheats N Codes CD Volume 1 disc all the time for that game and other Japanese/PAL games and never have any problems playing it in VGA mode. It could also be that different disc have different compatibility for Import games. But if you are still having VGA compatibility issues for Fighting Vipers 2. Please either email me back/post here and will try to help you out some more if needed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 12th, 2017, 12:11 pm

I have another update!

The DC-X says "video signal not supported" on my HDTV, but then I saw Sonic mention a "wait till the disc stops making noise" trick. That worked! So now I'm able to play this game on the big screen without in crashing. I'm glad because i really enjoy this game.

A few more questions however since I can't read the Japanese instructions.

First, is the armor supposed to be a factor at all? I've played through the arcade mode multiple times and I've never seen a part of the armor not green.

Also, there seems to be an indication of branching stages on the bottom of the screen between matches. I like the concept but how do you choose?

VGC

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 12th, 2017, 12:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I have another update!

The DC-X says "video signal not supported" on my HDTV, but then I saw Sonic mention a "wait till the disc stops making noise" trick. That worked! So now I'm able to play this game on the big screen without in crashing. I'm glad because i really enjoy this game.

A few more questions however since I can't read the Japanese instructions.

First, is the armor supposed to be a factor at all? I've played through the arcade mode multiple times and I've never seen a part of the armor not green.

Also, there seems to be an indication of branching stages on the bottom of the screen between matches. I like the concept but how do you choose?

VGC

For the two questions, for Armor, if you damage it enough times when it is flashing green on either the top or bottom depending on where you hit it enough times. You have to do a back punch or kick move to destroy it for the top part, or do a slide move by doing d+K while dashing at the opponent when the bottom is flashing. It will make the opponent have less defense, but be much faster then you or you depending on the situation. If you want more experience on that feature, either crank up the health on both you and your opponent in the option settings, increase the # of rounds, or crank up the difficulty.

As for the branching stages, I can never figure that out ever as well, heck even gamefaqs.com does not have info on that feature mentioned in guides to begin with. The only info I found that is if you do not have the PAL/EU versions manual is that acording to one of the gamefaqs reviews, "although depending on how well you do inn a particular round you may take a different “branch”." Is what it might mean, but it is still not very clear on how it works?

If you need more, help please comment here and let me know?

Return to “Now Playing”