Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Postby Herschie » March 9th, 2017, 12:31 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Okay, here's the big question: Is this better than The Witcher 3? I bought that game because everybody was screaming about it being the best open world RPG ever made, but I was severely underwhelmed by it. Not a bad game, but not the religious experience everyone said it would be. Will Breath of the Wild be able to satisfy me better?

Absolutely, 100%, most definitely, yes. The Witcher 3 went back after a few days, whereas my copy of BotW will never see Gamestop again. Two totally different experiences.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 9th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Herschie wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:Okay, here's the big question: Is this better than The Witcher 3? I bought that game because everybody was screaming about it being the best open world RPG ever made, but I was severely underwhelmed by it. Not a bad game, but not the religious experience everyone said it would be. Will Breath of the Wild be able to satisfy me better?

Absolutely, 100%, most definitely, yes. The Witcher 3 went back after a few days, whereas my copy of BotW will never see Gamestop again. Two totally different experiences.

Seconded. I had the same experience as both of you with The Witcher 3 where I simply could not get into it no matter how hard I tried and no matter how many rave reviews I read about it. Breath of the Wild is a much snappier and user-friendly game and I suspect it will age better in the coming years as well.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » November 27th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Finally got a Switch so I decided to make this my first purchase and oh man, this might be the best game I've ever played. How are you supposed to go back and enjoy any other Zelda game after playing this?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 29th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Retrology wrote:Finally got a Switch so I decided to make this my first purchase and oh man, this might be the best game I've ever played. How are you supposed to go back and enjoy any other Zelda game after playing this?

Get back to us after you've broken all your weapons fighting trash mobs and have been stuck on the side of a cliff for 30 mins while it rains.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 29th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
Get back to us after you've broken all your weapons fighting trash mobs and have been stuck on the side of a cliff for 30 mins while it rains.

Yep, it has its share of annoyances. That's when you start comparing it to "Alex Kidd in High-Tech World":

Herschie wrote:These one-hit deaths are aggravating too. And so much stuff kills you in this game. Ever play "Alex Kidd in High-tech World"? You turn on a computer in that game and you're dead. You go down the stairs and you're dead. With absolutely nothing to warn you of your impending doom. BotW is like that as well. The world is not only huge, but it's dangerous as well.

In all seriousness though, this is one fantastic game.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 29th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Retrology wrote:Finally got a Switch so I decided to make this my first purchase and oh man, this might be the best game I've ever played. How are you supposed to go back and enjoy any other Zelda game after playing this?

It is an awesome game but I do not think time will be too kind to it. My big complaint is not weapons breaking (this is a good thing), it is the combat itself. Once you master some of the nuances with timing attacks/flurry rush or using your shield parry, there is no enemy in this game that cannot be beaten easily. I think your character is just way too powerful for the enemies once you master combat. The enemies are very predictable. Master mode was disappointing in that the enemies were not more dangerous, they only got an HP bump to drag fights out a little longer. I hope in the next Zelda Nintendo actually vary up the attack patterns of enemies and improve their AI. While I do not think Dark Souls type combat will suit Zelda, Nintendo could do with studying this game somewhat.

Agreed, best of the 3D Zelda titles so far but a good 2D Zelda is hard to beat.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » November 29th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Zelda isn't Dark Souls, combat in Zelda games isn't the facus, they were always easy, only the bosses would give some difficulties, Zelda is more about the adventure itself, the exploration.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 30th, 2018, 8:07 am

Zelda II is the Dark Souls of Zelda. I'm down with that style.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 30th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Zelda II is the Dark Souls of Zelda. I'm down with that style.

It might be harder than Dark Souls even, I at least could finish Dark Souls.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » December 2nd, 2018, 12:38 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:

Yeah that sucks. Also getting lost in the Faron Woods is annoying. Still not enough to detract from what I said.

Return to “Now Playing”