Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Gentlegamer

Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Postby Gentlegamer » March 6th, 2017, 11:37 am

The more I play the less I like exploring a huge world to find brittle weapons that break in one fight against trash mobs and then repeating.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 6th, 2017, 11:54 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:It's getting hard not to jump on the hype train for this game. I just bought a PS4. I don't need to go buying Wii U games right now, haha. Anyway, one thing I'm curious about is, how is this game different from other open world RPGs? I just bought The Witcher 3, which everyone tells me is the greatest open world game ever made. What does BotW do that The Witcher, Skyrim, Dragons Dogma, Kingdoms of Amalur, and others don't?

It's still an adventure game with lots of puzzles. Except you leave the tutorial/starting zone with the tools to solve every puzzle in the game. You can go straight to the end boss if you want.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 6th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:The more I play the less I like exploring a huge world to find brittle weapons that break in one fight against trash mobs and then repeating.

That's one of the things I was worried about. I'm not usually someone who likes to explore for the sake of exploration in video games. I like cool looking maps, don't get me wrong, but more often than not I prefer a tight, engaging narrative to "just wander around and look at all this cool stuff." The bigger the world, the harder it is to fill it with stuff to do.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 6th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:The more I play the less I like exploring a huge world to find brittle weapons that break in one fight against trash mobs and then repeating.

I was afraid of that when I first saw the previews. I'm still not at that point though.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 6th, 2017, 2:39 pm

I have to agree with you on this. The weapons leave much to be desired. Especially when you find a weapon with a grand description saying how well built and powerful it is, then you break it over the head of the first enemy you come across. I was fighting the red goblin things, and went through 3 weapons and 2 shields in a single battle.

I like the bit of strategy that adds, and how that kind of stuff organically keeps you within certain confines of the game, but its a pain in the a$$ to win even the easiest of battles some times because everything just breaks.

That is one of a few small nitpicks I have as of right now.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 6th, 2017, 5:04 pm

I've certainly never had this much trouble dispatching two Bokoblins before.

fod

Postby fod » March 6th, 2017, 5:06 pm

I thought it was one of the best design changes to the Zelda formula. It forces players to explore even more for rusty weapons or at least seek out enemies who, when defeated, will almost always leave a weapon behind. It also keeps players from sticking to a single fighting style or weapon type, especially during a storm -- no metallic weapons in hand!

IMO, it's a beautiful design balanced out by the fact that weapons are easy to find or obtain.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 6th, 2017, 9:08 pm

fod wrote:

I thought it was one of the best design changes to the Zelda formula. It forces players to explore even more for rusty weapons or at least seek out enemies who, when defeated, will almost always leave a weapon behind. It also keeps players from sticking to a single fighting style or weapon type, especially during a storm -- no metallic weapons in hand!

IMO, it's a beautiful design balanced out by the fact that weapons are easy to find or obtain.

This.

Also, I'm under the impression that the master sword is in the game, somewhere. Finding it is going to make it all the sweeter.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 6th, 2017, 9:44 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:
Also, I'm under the impression that the master sword is in the game, somewhere. Finding it is going to make it all the sweeter.

If anyone knows, please do not spoil it!

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 6th, 2017, 10:23 pm

The weapon durability system may seem annoying at first, but it means that every battle you get into matters, and that it's sometimes a better choice to just avoid one altogether, instead of you just annihilating every enemy in your path every single time. What I think should have been implemented is some sort of meter that indicates how close the weapon is to breaking, instead of the game only giving you a warning when it's one or two hits away from doing so.

Another issue I have with the game is the fact that rain makes it more difficult or even impossible to climb walls taller than yourself, which is fairly frustrating when you're just trying to get to your next objective.

Other than those issues, however, this really is shaping up to be an utter masterpiece of a game. There's so much detail and stuff to do it's insane, and I can't imagine getting bored of it any time soon. It's both the perfect send-off for the Wii U and the perfect introduction to the Switch, regardless of the latter system's flaws. It's at the very least a contender for Game of the Year, and arguably the best launch title for any system ever.

Return to “Now Playing”