**UPDATED** Zelda BotW WiiU (Final Thoughs) SPOILERS

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: **UPDATED** Zelda BotW WiiU (Final Thoughs) SPOILERS

Postby Voor » May 3rd, 2017, 9:24 am

Interesting. My brother is a Zelda nut and had similar thoughts. This was the text he sent me when he beat it.

As for gameplay, yes, it's the best Zelda. But the story is probably the worst part just because it's all up to you to find these things called memories which basically show you the backstory of everything happening. Idk, I feel like everything is great for the most part except for most of the main parts like story, dungeons, and the voice acting. It's weird... past games I ultimately played for the story but this is the first one where I played for the gameplay. Ocarina is still my favorite but idk where this one sits. I almost wish it wasn't a Zelda game because that way I wouldn't be so hard on it

Then I asked if the dungeons were any good:

Not really. And you can't really call them dungeons cause it's honestly just one giant puzzle with a mini boss at the end, that's it.. and none of them are all that great. I guess the shrines are more like dungeons but you can sometimes beat one in like 5 mins. I would've preferred the traditional 4-5 temples spread across the map with a bunch of cool side stuff to do in between instead of shrines.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 3rd, 2017, 4:52 pm

Bought this on Sunday. Was planning to get it as a reward for finishing the book I'm writing, but then my internet went out and I was going to get cabin fever if I didn't give myself something to distract me, so...

Anyway, I like it so far. It's definitely a fun, well made game. Problem is, it's an open world game, and I can already feel myself getting tired of the endless walking. I was afraid of this, to be honest. Hasn't lost my interest yet, though, so the real test is to see if it can keep me engaged until the end. Definitely won't be 100% this. Not even close. But maybe I can power through the main story.

The weapons breaking bugs me. I can get why sticks and clubs would break, but why do your swords shatter after, like, ten hits? Some blacksmith in Hyrule has a lot of explaining to do.

I do, however, like how the game encourages creativity. I found my first hynox today, and after a couple of embarrassingly bad attempts to fight him, I ran off. Found a cave with a metal boulder a ways down the path, and decided to magnesis it back over to him. II dropped it on him, and then proceeded to just swing it around. Ended up beating him in less than a minute, and he didn't hit me once.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2017, 6:40 pm

Sounds like you need a horse. Once you get one you'll get around a lot faster.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 3rd, 2017, 7:45 pm

I've got a horse. He's gray and I named him Bumbles. The problem is, it feels like you're missing out if you stay on the ground. You find way more interesting stuff up on the cliffs (which take forever to climb, even with the paraglider) and since this isn't Skyrim your horse doesn't have spider powers. And since your horse can die, I'm paranoid that if I ride it somewhere and leave it alone something'll come along and murder it.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » May 3rd, 2017, 9:47 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:And since your horse can die, I'm paranoid that if I ride it somewhere and leave it alone something'll come along and murder it.

Heh, I was the same way at first. But you don't have to worry, as long as you register your horse at a stable, you can leave it alone and it will stay there. And the next time you visit a stable, you will be able to board your horse even if you left it in the middle of nowhere.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » May 4th, 2017, 6:03 am

I had a few horses. They are OK. But once you unlock key shrines and it towers, they are pretty much useless. They are more of just a fun customization than anything else. I did find it fun trying to find specific horses like Gannon's horse and Zelda's horse. I recommend finding them over trying to find anything else.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » May 4th, 2017, 7:56 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've got a horse. He's gray and I named him Bumbles. The problem is, it feels like you're missing out if you stay on the ground. You find way more interesting stuff up on the cliffs (which take forever to climb, even with the paraglider) and since this isn't Skyrim your horse doesn't have spider powers. And since your horse can die, I'm paranoid that if I ride it somewhere and leave it alone something'll come along and murder it.

Don't use horse, climb tall stuff and glide everywhere.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 4th, 2017, 3:47 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've got a horse. He's gray and I named him Bumbles. The problem is, it feels like you're missing out if you stay on the ground. You find way more interesting stuff up on the cliffs (which take forever to climb, even with the paraglider) and since this isn't Skyrim your horse doesn't have spider powers. And since your horse can die, I'm paranoid that if I ride it somewhere and leave it alone something'll come along and murder it.

Minor spoiler:

There is a fairy that can revive any dead horses. So don't worry about them dying.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 4th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Don't use horse, climb tall stuff and glide everywhere.

That's what I've been doing. Problem is, once you get to the bottom you have to climb something else (assuming there's anything to climb nearby), and that's a process that can take minutes at a time just to cover a few hundred feet. Now I'm not dissing the game. I'm still enjoying it. It's just that in the past open world games haven't been the best fit for me. I had to force myself to finish Kingdoms of Amalur, and I only played a couple hours of Witcher 3. I'm hoping BotW will break that mold, but I haven't gotten far enough to say for sure.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » May 6th, 2017, 12:28 am

Another gameplay spoiler:

Find the climbing armor set right away. Even if you hate using walkthroughs, do yourself a favor and look at one just for the location of the climbing armor. It speeds up climbing by a good degree if you have the whole set. I played through most of the game with only one out of three of the pieces and only realized at the end how much time I would have saved if I had gotten the whole set earlier.

Return to “Now Playing”