River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS)

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 4th, 2017, 8:39 pm

I just started playing this and I love the old school vibe. Highly responsive controls and fun fighting action. I especially love how you can zoom in with the shoulder buttons.

Just one problem. What the hell is the deal with that map? I have no idea how to navigate it. The icon with my guy on it is always in the same place no matter where I go. I can't get over how non-intuitive they made this simple concept.

CaptainCruch

Re: River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS)

Postby CaptainCruch » March 5th, 2017, 4:15 am

It's a reason I don't really like the original either. I mean, the NES looks great and plays alright, but I never have a clue where to go or what to do...

velcrozombie

Re: River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS)

Postby velcrozombie » March 6th, 2017, 10:11 am

CaptainCruch wrote:It's a reason I don't really like the original either. I mean, the NES looks great and plays alright, but I never have a clue where to go or what to do...

I don't know if you'd be interested in going back to the original River City Ransom, but it's a fairly straightfoward game. There's only one bit of backtracking that you have to do, but it's absolutely necessary to advance:

1. From the beginning of the game, fight your way to the W.S.L Co. Warehouse (the 9th screen in the game). Go inside the building and kill Rocko (One important detail to note is that bosses won't spawn unless there's a gang to fight; if you enter the warehouse and there's no one to fight, or it doesn't say something on the bottom of the screen like "W.S.L. Co. Warehouse: THE HOME BOY'S TURF", then just go back outside and re-enter the screen until it does).

2. Now exit the warehouse the way you came in and go back to the 4th screen of the game (it should say Sticksville and have a bunch of trees and metal fences in the background; there's a prior screen called Sticksville but in a city environment). In the background there should be a section with two white pillars and some red/tan dirt in between - enter here.

3. This is Sherman Park. All you have to do is fight Blade and exit. From here on out the path is a straight line.

There's lots of stuff to explore and buy, but the only other thing I would absolutely make sure to do is buy either Stone Hands or Dragon Feet from one of the bookstores at one of the malls - they make the game a lot easier and it might be impossible to beat one of the final bosses without them. If you have any other trouble advancing, it may simply be a boss not spawning - some bosses (like Blade) are completely alone, but most require you to beat a gang before they spawn. Just exit and re-enter a scene if it seems like you can't advance.

I put a ton of hours into the original RCR as a kid so I'd definitely like to check this out, although hopefully the fighting is a bit more fleshed out by now - it's hard to go back once you play something like Streets of Rage 2.

Return to “Now Playing”