Bases Loaded 2 (NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Bases Loaded 2 (NES)

Postby Herschie » March 9th, 2017, 11:02 pm

With all this hoopla about Zelda lately, it reminded me of another game we played in 1988: Bases Loaded. I mean, that game was epic. I think I wrote about it about a year ago.

1989 wasn't a bad year in baseball. And if you know me, you know that I love baseball. Won't be long before I'm chirping about The Show 17. Anyway, the Cubs had Dwight Smith, Andre Dawson, a young Greg Maddux, Ryne Sandberg, and Mark Grace. They had a charismatic manager, the late Don Zimmer. He lead them to a 93-69 record, but unfortunately fell to San Francisco in 5 games in the NLCS. Anyone remember that earthquake that rattled the Bay Area during the World Series that Oakland ultimately swept?

Me, I had Bases Loaded 2. Critic tears this game to shreds, and I will agree with him that the music is terrible. Now I realize why my father would get annoyed when I'd play this. Or maybe it was my bad habit of leaving all the cupboard doors open. Who knows? The gameplay isn't all bad. It's much harder to hit than the original. I like how you can edit your lineup before the game starts, and from what I remember, it gave you complete lineups and stats in the instruction manual. It also gives you the players' biorhythm after the game, so can tell who's in a slump, and who's not. I don't necessarily like the view from the cheap seats, but the artificial turf stadiums are reminiscent of places like Veteran's Stadium, Riverfront Stadium, and a host of others at the time.

We'd play this well into the 90s, usually resulting in us going outside to play some real baseball. Funny thing is, we'd imitate the pitcher and batter's stance from this game. Hey, I never said I wasn't a weird kid growing up! But this game is part of the childhood memories that I've grown so fond of.

lynchie137

Re: Bases Loaded 2 (NES)

Postby lynchie137 » August 13th, 2017, 9:49 pm

The thing that spoiled this game for me was that they changed the fielding perspective from the usual view used in most baseball games to that side on perspective. I never could get used to it, which made fielding the most routine of ground balls and throwing to the correct base an exercise in frustration.

That being said, it was nowhere near as bad as the one used in the two bases Loaded games that followed it. The one used in those two games rendered them borderline unplayable.

Return to “Now Playing”