Disc Jam

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Disc Jam

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 29th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Just a heads up, if you have a PS4 and a PS+ subscription, go download Disc Jam right now before it stops being free. I did it just for the heck of it, and I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would. It's a fast paced multiplayer arcade sports game. I wrote a review of it, and it should be up on here as soon as it gets approved if you want more details. It's only free for two more days, though, so hurry and get it!

Voor

Re: Disc Jam

Postby Voor » March 29th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Is it the "remake" of WindJammers (arcade, neo Geo)? I only saw a pic, and it made me think of that.

If so, that's great! WindJammers is a fantastic game.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 29th, 2017, 9:56 pm

I've never heard of Windjammers before, but after looking at some pics, yeah do look kind of similar. Main difference I notice right off the bat is that DJ's camera is behind your player, not to the side.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 29th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Anyone playing this? Looking for a cheap online multiplayer game to play with family when we’re tired of rocket league.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 29th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Voor wrote:Anyone playing this? Looking for a cheap online multiplayer game to play with family when we’re tired of rocket league.

I downloaded Disc Jam when it was free one month for PS+ users, but I haven't played it yet. But I have played Windjammers, both on my Neo Geo and the remake on PS4. Disc Jam looks very similar to that game and it got pretty decent reviews. If it's cheap and you like Windjammers, sounds like it's worth a shot.

P.S. For another great couch co-op game on modern consoles, check out the Overcooked series. I'd highly recommend it for any gamer, from the hardcore to the most casual. It's one of the few games I've been able to play with my wife and have us both enjoy.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » March 29th, 2020, 6:33 pm

I bought this game for the Switch when it came out, probably about a year go. This game absolutely blows. Sorry, but it is completely boring. Plus, if I remember correctly there is no single player campaign or modes to think of. I am not even sure if this game is worth checking out if it is free! I paid like $15 bucks and I certainly did not get my monies worth.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 29th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Thanks. Yeah, my fear is that it’s interest would be short lived.

I’ll check out overcooked. It has online multiplayer?

Also, what about Killer Queen Black? I know it’s very very popular in arcades, but I seems kind of complicated.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 29th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Voor wrote:Thanks. Yeah, my fear is that it’s interest would be short lived.

I’ll check out overcooked. It has online multiplayer?

Also, what about Killer Queen Black? I know it’s very very popular in arcades, but I seems kind of complicated.

Yeah, I actually think Windjammers is like that too. Like I know a lot of Neo Geo fans swear by it, but I can’t get anyone interested in it when they come over! The fighting games and Metal Slug win out every time.. and I sorta feel the same, so I can’t blame them.

As for Overcooked- great game. I’ve only played the 1st one. That one is just couch co-op. However, Overcooked 2 has online play, in addition to couch co-op. The series is one of the best couch co-op games on modern consoles, and it works well with 2, 3, or 4 players. The game is meant to be cooperative, as all players are on the same team. You make meals with your teammates, in a race against the clock. It can get stressful in the later stages, and annoyed words might be exchanged among partners, but it’s all part of the fun. I got bored towards the end of the missions, but it was fun while it lasted.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2020, 11:45 pm

My initial reflex to seeing this subject was "yay physical media"!!

*sad face*

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 30th, 2020, 12:14 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:My initial reflex to seeing this subject was "yay physical media"!!

*sad face*

Haha. The funny irony of it is that, on one hand, retro gamers are drawn to physical media AND, on the other hand, the modern games that would appeal most to retro gamers tend to be download only! But it’s not always the developers’ fault. The indie developers making retro-inspired games can’t put out physical media as easily as the big guys.

I love physical media as much as anyone, but I won’t skip a great game just because it’s download-only. Hollow Knight isn’t an anomaly or a needle in a haystack- many other great ones.. you just have to know where to look!

Return to “Now Playing”