MLB The Show 17 (PS4 Pro)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

MLB The Show 17 (PS4 Pro)

Postby Herschie » April 2nd, 2017, 8:32 pm

I don't think I've ever played a game in my entire life that made me feel more nostalgic. Maybe it's because they finally got the Cubs retro jerseys right in putting blue numbers on the back of the Cubs' home jerseys instead of red. Drove me nuts for years. Now that it's right, I keep on forgetting that 17 is Kris Bryant instead of Mark Grace. I keep on wondering how relief pitcher Steve Wilson was able to smash that home run, only to remember that 44 is Rizzo. I see Jason Heyward in right field, and it brings back memories of me watching Andre Dawson hit basically every pitch out of the ballpark in 1987. Good thing managers Jim Frey, Don Zimmer, or Jim LeFebvre never wore number 70, so it's pretty easy to remember that it's Joe Maddon. You know, the manager that won the World Series for the Cubs. But I tell you, playing this, I keep expecting my mother to interrupt my game to tell me that my friend is at the door to brag about how he finally found the raft in the Legend of Zelda.

In addition to all that, we have ourselves what I like to call a solid game. The graphics are much improved, and if you have both a 4K television (I do), and a PS4 Pro (Also, check), you get to choose if you want 4K graphics, or a better framerate. There are three options, and I like the enhanced graphics, because the 4K framerate gets a little too choppy for my liking. I think enhanced is 1440p, and the framerate is fine. But if you choose high framerate, which is basically 1080p, it's silky smooth. Or smooth like butter. Your choice. Let me tell you though, the graphics look fantastic in 4K, thus justifying my purchase for this. Not that I've told my wife about it or anything.

They have this new physics engine that simulates the ball hitting a bat, and the variety of hits is something. Little bloop singles are seen, as are shots down the line. It adds quite a bit.

Alright, I have to cut this short, the Cubs are about to start. You know, the world champion Chicago Cubs. I'll write more later.

Return to “Now Playing”