Persona 5

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ptdebate

Persona 5

Postby ptdebate » April 16th, 2017, 8:57 pm

When I think back and try to remember the last game that made me feel this way, memories of Persona 4 come rushing back. This is truly a singular series. Persona 5 makes every effort to distinguish itself from its predecessor, however. The bleak circumstances and extremely high stakes in this tightly woven tale mark a departure from Persona 4's relatively cheery tone (despite the fact that it was a murder mystery). Persona 5 has me so tied up in its picaresque yarn that it's hard to remember my gaming life without it. Such is the bewitching magic of this series. You start out the game as a delinquent highschooler, rebel without a cause, expelled from school due to an unfair ruling involving an unlucky tangle with a corrupt politician. Through your wit and strength of personality, however, you soon win the admiration and companionship of a talking cat, the class president, a shady doctor, your homeroom teacher, an alcoholic journalist, a teenage hacker, and many others as you struggle against societal norms, final exams, and supernatural forces. The protagonist and his circle grow convincingly as individuals while their individual journeys support the evolution of the group as a whole. Some of the character moments in Persona 5 rival the best TV out there. And with a game of this length, there's plenty of time to get to know everyone. Persona 5 represents ATLUS at the top of their game as a developer, displaying, with complete confidence, their flagship product: a 100-hour turn-based Japanese role-playing game about high-schoolers fighting their inner demons as well as the larger demons that infest our world. And it is glorious.

David

Re: Persona 5

Postby David » April 21st, 2017, 9:13 pm

Yeah, this game is pretty good. Actually, it's extremely amazing and maybe the best JRPG I've ever played. From Persona 3, to 4, and now 5 Atlus has taken an already great game and blueprint and then improved it to make it even better. From hanging out with friends, completing requests in the procedurally generated Mementos, reading books, exploring palaces, making tools, fusing personas, negotiating with demons, customizing guns, and even more -- everything you can do in this game ties into one or multiple other systems in place so that everything you do feels worthwhile and not wasting your time.

My only complaints so far (I'm finishing up the fifth palace now) are the sometimes finnicky controls while taking cover in the dungeons/palaces, when negotiating with demons it doesn't tell you beforehand which ones you already have in your compendium, and the characters seem to be a step down from Persona 4. And the last complaint might just be a me problem since I loved the characters in 4 so much and there are a few familiar tropes in some of 5's characters in my opinion.

Any self proclaimed JRPG fan that hasn't played this series is missing out greatly, because it's the best of the genre and wholly unique. Other than Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I can't think of another RPG doing anything like this game. Buy it now!

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » April 22nd, 2017, 8:58 pm

Silly question....does the game come with an actual instruction manual?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 23rd, 2017, 8:35 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:Silly question....does the game come with an actual instruction manual?

That's not silly at all!

The PS3 version does not have a manual. I cannot speak to whether or not the PS4 edition has one.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » April 23rd, 2017, 9:33 pm

PS4 version also does not have a manual. It does, however come with a sweet controller skin! ...That for some stupid reason is only available in the standard edition. And because I preordered the steelbook, I didn't get the controller skin.

Return to “Now Playing”