Asteroids Missile Command (Gameboy)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
scotland

Asteroids Missile Command (Gameboy)

Postby scotland » May 10th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Arcade Classics #1 for Nintendo Gameboy, with ports made by Accolade, not Atari.

Looking at Missile Command first.
The famed Nintendo D pad is a poor substitute for a trak ball, but it does an okay job. The A and B work 2 (not three) missile batteries under your command. I am playing on a GBC, but its still shades of green. There is a watermark sort of background of specific cities you defend. The first is Cairo and the Pyramids, and the next is New York with the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline including the Twin Towers. That stings the first time it pops up. London is next up.

All in all, I am enjoying it. The missile explosions last awhile, so you can comfortably lead targets.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Asteroids Missile Command (Gameboy)

Postby BlasteroidAli » May 11th, 2017, 11:29 am

I really enjoyed it. I had often thought how cool it would be to play asteroids whilst taking the train from London to Glasgow. With this cart I got my wish. The missile command is great as it the asteroid. I thought the screen was too small for the galaxian/galaga cartridge.

scotland

Re: Asteroids Missile Command (Gameboy)

Postby scotland » May 12th, 2017, 12:08 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:I really enjoyed it. I had often thought how cool it would be to play asteroids whilst taking the train from London to Glasgow. With this cart I got my wish. The missile command is great as it the asteroid. I thought the screen was too small for the galaxian/galaga cartridge.

You are right, Asteroids is fun here. It gives you choices of control schemes (Do you think of Thrust as 'up', or use a button?), 3 difficulty levels, and a choice of sprite graphics or sprites that look like vector graphics. I have been having fun with the ones that look like the original vector graphics. Its bright and crisp, and works just fine on the Gameboy.

I bought the Galaxian/Galaga cartridge as well, so I'll give that a go too.

Return to “Now Playing”