Ice Hockey (NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Ice Hockey (NES)

Postby Herschie » May 23rd, 2017, 2:09 pm

Many arguments were had in the late 1980s about whether "Ice Hockey" or "Blades of Steel" was the ultimate hockey game on the NES. One such argument ended with me stuffed in a garbage can by a fifth grader. Looking back on it, I probably shouldn't have brought up the guy's mother. But who could hate "Ice Hockey"? It was such a fantastic game!

I always loved pushing people around with the big fat guys. This was another game that I got much better at when I got older because I figured out how to shoot.

By far the best part of "Ice Hockey" were those zambonis. That alone crowns this as the ultimate hockey game on the NES.

Retro STrife

Re: Ice Hockey (NES)

Postby Retro STrife » May 23rd, 2017, 2:36 pm

I bought both Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel together a few months back, with the hopes of settling this debate for myself. And I've never played either before, so I figured I could do it without any bias or nostalgia getting in the way. Unfortunately, I still haven't played them! Maybe this topic will be the inspiration needed....

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 23rd, 2017, 3:45 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I bought both Ice Hockey and Blades of Steel together a few months back, with the hopes of settling this debate for myself. And I've never played either before, so I figured I could do it without any bias or nostalgia getting in the way. Unfortunately, I still haven't played them! Maybe this topic will be the inspiration needed....

Well promise me you won't stuff me in a trash can if you think "Blades of Steel" is better.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 27th, 2017, 11:37 pm

I had both. I preferred Ice Hockey. Blades was good, I especially liked passing the puck on Blades for goals, but Ice was more fun zigzagging in the ice.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2017, 9:17 am

I'm going to make a note to have an "Ice Hockey Vs Blades of Steel" night with my friends when the weather gets cold again to finally settle this age-old question. I realize it's technically still hockey season (Stanley Cup Playoffs) but my hearts just not into it. I wish the Stanley Cup was in March. Hockey season is too long.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 28th, 2017, 10:43 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm going to make a note to have an "Ice Hockey Vs Blades of Steel" night with my friends when the weather gets cold again to finally settle this age-old question.

Can the 8 bit Sega Master System get in on the hockey challenge - its got Great Ice Hockey, Slap Shot, and the oddly expensive Championship Hockey. You have only reviewed Great Ice Hockey, so you could knock out two more SMS reviews.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 28th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Just be careful, people, these debates usually end up getting bloody.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 20th, 2020, 5:48 pm

Is there a difference between A and B buttons? Is one pass and the other shoot, or are they both the same? I played this for a few minutes the other day and couldn’t quite tell.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » May 20th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Blades of Steel all the way for me. Now don't get me wrong, I think ice Hockey is a pretty good little game. But to me, the game play and controls in Blades are a lot more tighter and more realistic.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » May 21st, 2020, 7:07 pm

Voor wrote:Is there a difference between A and B buttons? Is one pass and the other shoot, or are they both the same? I played this for a few minutes the other day and couldn’t quite tell.

One button does pass while the other shoots. If you hold down the shot button I believe you get a stronger shot (like a slapshot).

Return to “Now Playing”