Tekken 7

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ptdebate

Tekken 7

Postby ptdebate » June 2nd, 2017, 7:09 pm

Tekken 7. It's fun. It's Tekken. There's not much else I can say. Anyone else getting this on PC? The game runs great.

JWK

Re: Tekken 7

Postby JWK » June 3rd, 2017, 10:59 am

I'm planning on getting it for PS4 after a major price drop. I'm not interested at all in the series, but review scores have been way too high to ignore. Sounds like a good time!

evergreen13

Re: Tekken 7

Postby evergreen13 » September 10th, 2019, 9:32 am

Two years later and I finally pick this one up after finding it for fairly cheap on PC. My biggest complaint is how much hard drive space the game takes up - it's over 70 GBs now!

I'm an old fan of Tekken, having played since Tekken 2 and I've owned them all except for Tekken 4. As a result, I was looking forward to jumping into Tekken 7 even though it's been out for two years already! Anyway, the game is fun, looks great, and is definitely a current gen version of Tekken! It doesn't do a whole lot new for the series, but do we really need Tekken to change that much anyways?

It is missing a few offline modes for sure (where's team battle?) but what is surprisingly good is online play. Despite having a decent amount of Tekken experience, other players are absolutely brutal! It's tough not to get discouraged when you are getting destroyed most rounds, but then you start winning a round here and there, and the next thing you know you are tied up 2-2 with someone and you actually have a chance! I've played for about 10 hours now according to Steam, and I'm really starting to get a feel for the game and actually winning matches here and there. I actually really like the "rematch" feature when you have a really good close match with someone. Last night I literally played 9 matches against the same opponent - he won 5, I won 4, and most of them went to the fifth round! I realized that I hadn't played Tekken matches like that since the dorm tournaments we had with Tekken Tag 1 when I was in college!

These fights are so good that they are exhausting to play for an extended period of time. The amount of focus needed to continue playing competitively is ridiculous, as you are constantly searching for an opening on your opponent while simultaneously making sure your opponent doesn't get an opening on you. Just a moment of letting your guard down and chances are the round will end. I know the Critic wasn't too big into this game, but as someone who has always preferred Tekken over Street Fighter, this one really is a solid game.

Return to “Now Playing”