Wipeout: The Omega Collection (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Wipeout: The Omega Collection (PS4)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2017, 6:07 pm

This is great. I've always liked Wipeout but it seems like in recent years Sony has relegated it to handheld and download-only status. Not sure why because it looks amazing on the big screen. Very addictive.

Probably the arcade racer PS4 fans really needed.

Stalvern

Re: Wipeout: The Omega Collection (PS4)

Postby Stalvern » July 2nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

I am seriously considering a PS4 just for this.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 6th, 2017, 12:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is great. I've always liked Wipeout but it seems like in recent years Sony has relegated it to handheld and download-only status. Not sure why because it looks amazing on the big screen. Very addictive.

Probably the arcade racer PS4 fans really needed.

I haven't played any Wipeout games, but just bought my first one last week... Wipeout XL for the PS1. Hoping to try it out soon. If you're a fan of the series, XL might be worth reviewing. I see that you reviewed Wipeout and Wipeout 3.. XL was the second Wipeout game. According to GameRankings.com, it's the highest rated Wipeout game ever and the 3rd highest rated PS1 game overall. IGN also did a ranking in 2002 of the best PS1 games ever, and placed Wipeout XL at #13 (the only Wipeout on the list). http://www.ign.com/articles/top-25-game ... plete-list . Again, I haven't played it myself yet, but it seems to be one of the peaks of the series. And it's under $10. Might be worth a look.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 6th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I haven't played any Wipeout games, but just bought my first one last week... Wipeout XL for the PS1. Hoping to try it out soon.

Wipeout XL is all right. It's definitely the most "arcade-y" in the series and probably the easiest to get into (which is most likely why it's so popular), but there isn't much substance once you get a handle on it. The first game is more challenging, and the third is more sophisticated. Wipeout 64 (which is based on XL) is faster, tougher, and better than any of the PlayStation games, though; if you have an N64, I wholeheartedly recommend it. (Wipeout HD, of course, beats all of the rest.)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 6th, 2017, 4:57 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Wipeout 64 (which is based on XL) is faster, tougher, and better than any of the PlayStation games, though; if you have an N64, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Well, I'm officially an idiot. I just checked my list of N64 games and realized that I own Wipeout 64. (Apparently I need to keep better tabs on my stuff...) I think I bought it in the past year too, so my memory must be slipping.

I've never played it, though. I'll have to give XL and 64 a try at some point and see what I think.

Return to “Now Playing”