Splatoon 2 (okay, so I caved)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Atarifever

Re: Splatoon 2 (okay, so I caved)

Postby Atarifever » July 29th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Voor wrote:Wonder if they'll ever release this for the 3DS.

The Kirby games are dropping fast and furious right now, so that essentially means the 3DS is getting its last year of support. Nintedo loves to close out systems with multiple Kirbys.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 30th, 2017, 7:41 am

I still can't figure out for the life of me why people would invest in this system (Zelda) as there is literally zero third party support and a paltry one game per month release (save for download titles). Anyway enjoy, hopefully it doesn't turn into an expensive door stop for ya!

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 30th, 2017, 3:57 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:I still can't figure out for the life of me why people would invest in this system (Zelda) as there is literally zero third party support and a paltry one game per month release (save for download titles). Anyway enjoy, hopefully it doesn't turn into an expensive door stop for ya!

Haha! Fingers crossed! I plowed through Zelda on Wii U, so I didn't see a reason to buy a Switch for it. It was a total impulse buy, and I'm so excited for Mario Odyssey and (in the far reaches) Metroid Prime 4. Other than that, nothing is really catching my attention. I'm really hoping for GC VC support, some awesome put-of-left field first/third party games (I would sell my soul for a straight port of Dark Souls)!

I learned with the Wii U not to expect big things from Nintendo, or at least not expect too many big things. It's a shame because I would love for Them to be the same company they were during the 8/16 bit era.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 1st, 2017, 7:40 am

Its almost like they want you to buy multiples switches so you can play them with your friends. :lol:

Too bad they are as rare as bigfoot.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » May 1st, 2020, 8:47 am

Bumping this thread because there's a free demo going on right now for this game and I finally checked it out. I honestly only had minimal interest in this game. I hate to say it, but it seemed very "For kids only!" Plus, there's plenty of other games I want for the system that I haven't gotten around to picking up yet.

I played last night for about two hours, and surprisingly had a blast! I'm honestly considering picking this up for some casual online play. The paint mechanic is fairly unique, and I like how the short matches encourage you to play just one more round. I'm even pleasantly surprised by the gyro aiming. After a while, it started to feel fairly natural. Even as someone older than the target demographic, I kinda dig the art style - sure, it's very Nickelodeon-esque, but the bright colors are definitely a breath of fresh air.

It's not perfect. Part of my hesitation with picking it up is the longevity question. Will this continue to be fun in the long run? It definitely has it's hardcore fans that have hundreds of hours logged into the game, so I'd say it probably depends on the person. Right now, servers are plenty active, though this could be because of the free demo. Finally, who's idea was it to have only two maps available at a time? Is it that hard to just rotate through all the maps? I really don't understand the logic behind that.

Overall, I'm having a fun time. Not sure if I want to drop $40 on this (let alone the $60 that it normally is!), but I'll keep playing for the next week while the demo is still active and reassess after playing a few more hours to see if it has any staying power for me.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 1st, 2020, 1:02 pm

I grabbed it a month or so ago and finally got around to trying it last weekend got a couple of hours. Like you said, it’s a fun game, though it’s taking me a while to get comfortable with the controls. But they are good.

I’ve heard that the Slalom mode is really really fun, but I haven’t tried it yet. Also, I’m not sure how to access the single player campaign—I skipped through the opening cutscenes, as I tend to do.

I’ll spend some more time with it this weekend.

Return to “Now Playing”